SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed recently that my engine has a very distinct whine to it (its not turbo whine either) It gets more pronounced as the rpms go up, but after a bit i cant hear it over the exhaust... The sound is still there after the ac is off as well. Everything is still running the same, no drops in boost everything still feels solid... Any guesses??? It has 125k on the clock if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Any guesses??? It has 125k on the clock if that makes any difference.__________________

The more details that are presented, the better..
These "meaningless-to-some" items help us with the diagnosis.
Sound travels - this could be a turbo bearing.
Also it could be a pulley bearing - this can easily be isolated..
Transmission bearing ?
Shut down the engine and coast..

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt include its an automatic either ;oops:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sound seems to be coming from the TB area-right near the IAC...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
could it be a vacuum leak of some kind? Perhaps the line going to the fuel pressure regulator? Just a guess really.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The A/F ratios are still right on according to my autometer gauge, and im not getting any boost leak. The whine is present on idle and will go up with rpm in any gear (including neutral) The sound doesnt get louder as the gears go up... The sound is coming from the area around the IAC as far as i can tell. Ive heard maybe its power steering fluid low? It is the same whine as when the wheel is turned almost all the way in either direction...

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Stalker.
Have you replaced the small upper idler pully on the serpentine belt recently?
The bearing is usually only good for 40-50K miles or so.
$45 at JimEllis, less at eeuro.
You can check it by removing it, holding it in the center and giving it a spin.
It should be silent, not loose at all (back and forth movement).
Don't drive with a bad one.... it'll seize and destroy the belt in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Havent replaced it since ive owned the car (since 85k) Ill give that a try on my nexdt day off...

·
Banned
89 Posts
I had two whines at two diffrent times the first time is was the small upper idler pully the second time it was the water pump. They both sounded the same at first but the water pump got very loud once it gaved.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It should be silent, not loose at all (back and forth movement).
Don't drive with a bad one.... it'll seize and destroy the belt in a heartbeat
In my experience, it is difficult to assess a pulley this way, and does not necessarily work everytime. Pulleys can be physically sound, but still noisy. I would suggest to use the screwdriver test, first. IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

HTH

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've encountered the exact same thing twice before.

At 110,000Km it was an idler wheel (pulley), replaced offending pulley and did mod to bypass another pulley that is candidate for frequent trouble.

at 124,000 it was the alternator bearings.
Zaphod Beeblebrox said:
Pulleys can be physically sound, but still noisy. I would suggest to use the screwdriver test, first. IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
If it's noisy, fix it. Your garage will be able to tell you which pulley it is (they usually have a listening tool with a rod that is touched to the centre bolt of the pulley). Here you have the benefit of an audible warning that something will almost certainly fail on you... why wait until it ends up failing causing a more expensive and possibly very inconvenient scenario?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Check the alternator. Mine went at 130k miles and was a pain to replace. If you slacken the belt you can rotate the pulley by hand. Even a slight vibration you feel will contribute to a whine.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Pulleys can be physically sound, but still noisy. I would suggest to use the screwdriver test, first. IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If it's noisy, fix it. Your garage will be able to tell you which pulley it is (they usually have a listening tool with a rod that is touched to the centre bolt of the pulley). Here you have the benefit of an audible warning that something will almost certainly fail on you... why wait until it ends up failing causing a more expensive and possibly very inconvenient scenario?

I was refering to the notion that all pulleys should be replaced at the same time. Certainly, a noisy pulley should be replaced, and I did not imply otherwise. There has been reference on this forum to noisy pulleys being repacked with grease before refitting, but I have always replaced with a new part.

The screwdriver is what you describe as being a listening rod!

HTH

·
Registered
867 Posts
I can understand if you want to spend the money and replace both pulleys & the belt so you don't have to worry about it for another 50k miles. My approach is to check these a couple times a year and try to save some money. For those with DIY skills & limited budgets, there is no need to replace parts that may be perfectly good. If you don't have the full maintenance records for the car, these could have been just recently replaced.

I like to understand why these things fail and save money by extending their service life if possible. The money I save on maintenance I can then spend on mods to improve the car. This is just my philosophy and I understand the fact that others may think differently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts