SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2002 9-5 Aero Combi in excellent condition...the only problem with it is that the car seems to go into reverse hard at times, especially when cold (not grinding but clunking into gear, like a 25 year old 900) and there's a bit of a hitch when downshifting from 5th or 4th to 3rd. Clutch seems fine. Much of the time, it goes into all gears well (problem is intermittent). Does this sound like a linkage alignment issue or should I be saving my pennies for that expensive transmission update?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
joebest said:
Just bought a 2002 9-5 Aero Combi in excellent condition...the only problem with it is that the car seems to go into reverse hard at times, especially when cold (not grinding but clunking into gear, like a 25 year old 900) and there's a bit of a hitch when downshifting from 5th or 4th to 3rd. Clutch seems fine. Much of the time, it goes into all gears well (problem is intermittent). Does this sound like a linkage alignment issue or should I be saving my pennies for that expensive transmission update?
I've got a 2003 Aero and the shifter has always been too clunky and notchy for my tastes. It feels loose and weak and I often have trouble getting into reverse as well. You're right it could be a linkage alignment issue - the way to check is to put the car into 4th gear with the shift boot removed. You should see a small hole on the top of the shifter housing. There is another hole on a metal piece beneath that should line up. You should be able to insert a small screwdriver in there and pass it through both holes, if that makes any sense. If the holes are offset then your linkage needs adjusting.

I think these factory gearboxes are just notchy. I'm upgrading mine to the saabsavior shortshift kit as soon as possible. Cheers.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Syncro issues.

You can try a search about changing the gearbox oil to something a little more syncro friendly, this is what we do on our 25 year old 900s:p

a 900 should go into reverse like it is made of butter with absolutely no resistance whatsoever. If you get a "clunk" on a 900 something is wrong. We shift a forward gear then select reverse in one smooth fluent path. The same thing works on a 9-5.

If you can learn proper double declutching then you can remove the use of the syncro when downshifting. I double clutch and double declutch all the time. This can allow you (when mastered) to downshift at very high RPMS with less stress on the gearbox and will extend the life of components.

If none of this helps well........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts