SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently put leather skins on my front 2 seats. The reason I wasn't able to just remove the cloth seats and bolt on the leather ones is explained in a previous post

I have driver side seat heating but not passenger side heating so while I was replacing the skins I thought I'd take the foam and accompanying wires from the leather passenger seat and put them in the car because I don't want my passengers getting jealous of my warm tookus. So I plugged it in and went for a drive with my flatmate. After a while he turns to me and says "Um... is it getting hot in here or is it just me" I assure him I haven't turned the seat heating on yet and he assures right back that his *** is getting very hot.

Can I hook up the wires from the passenger seat so that I can control them with my driver side switch? Surely some of the 900's have both seats heated. As my driver seat has a setting of 1 - 3 the passenger seat feels like a 3 or 4 so I have unplugged it for now.

There must be some genius here who has an idea.

·
4,637 Posts
Later 900s have auto heated seats. A thermoswitch embedded in the seat switches off the heater when it warms up the relevant person. Underneath the seat (on both sides) there is a spring operated switch which detects if there is somebody sitting in the seat so that the heater only runs when necessary. Ideally you should procure both of these...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
cdaly said:
Later 900s have auto heated seats. A thermoswitch embedded in the seat switches off the heater when it warms up the relevant person. Underneath the seat (on both sides) there is a spring operated switch which detects if there is somebody sitting in the seat so that the heater only runs when necessary. Ideally you should procure both of these...
no no, thats backasswards. earlier 900's had auto heated seats, later 900's had the manual switch. thats a great idea about controlling it from the one switch! does anybody know how this could be done?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
My 1991, which is considered to be fairly late, has automatic ones. The 1987 900i loaner I had had manual switches. A couple of summers ago, when we reached 37ºC, my heater control rod fell off and the heated seat got stuck on. Then the drivers window wouldn't go down. I nearly expired. The things I put up with on this car :lol:

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Just to confuse the issue: my 1986 8v has auto heated seats, but my 1988 T16 had manual seats.

I think the auto/manual thing might be related to something other than model-year ;) Could it be that fully-equipped cars without spare dashboard switch spaces got auto seats? Mind you, my 8v is a pov-model with manual everything. But then, so was the T16. Which doesn't help in the slightest.

:lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
my 89' t16 has all options. leather, air conditioning, cruise control, rear wiper, everything! but i have a manual driver's side heated seat switch and automatic passenger.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By auto heated passenger seat what does that mean exactly?

·
4,637 Posts
woywitka said:
my 89' t16 has automatic passenger.
This is in case you need company on a long drive? Or is it more like the automatic pilot from the 'Airplane' movie?? :lol: :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cdaly said:
This is in case you need company on a long drive? Or is it more like the automatic pilot from the 'Airplane' movie?? :lol: :cheesy:
You mean "Flying High"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts