SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well technically, I would say it's inaccurate. Lie would imply that the computer knows the truth and chooses to report a different figure. :cool:

I am charting the accuracy of my EDU. On average, mine is off by about 2%, usually reporting better economy than I am achieving. However, it's hard to be accurate unless you fill up at the exact same pump every single time. And even then, I have found that sometimes even the same pump doesn't shut off at the same point on my in-dash fuel gauge.

It's better to fill up early rather than later anyway, so I usually fill up at 1/4 tank, long before the fuel light has come on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agreed. Inaccurate is a better word. My EDU usually says I'm averaging 31.1mpg.

Simply do the math after each fill up. I always get a receipt that says exactly how much fuel I've pumped.

Just divide your current trip meter reading by the # of gallons you've just added, and get your actual mpg since your last fill up.

Matter of fact, today I added 15 gallons. Trip meter said 378 miles.

378/15=25.2mpg average. If it were all highway, I might actually get the 31.1 mpg.

As you can see, it's a little off from what my EDU says.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Plus it is an average over the milage on the car, or when it was reset the last time. I had 27.2 mpg, and my daughter used my car for 2 weeks, it came back at 21.9, so now I'm working on getting it back up to 27.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
BrettK said:
Plus it is an average over the milage on the car, or when it was reset the last time. I had 27.2 mpg, and my daughter used my car for 2 weeks, it came back at 21.9, so now I'm working on getting it back up to 27.
LOL when i take my moms 9-3 vert out i usually drive it hard and only get around 22 MPG, so i reset it a few miles before home and drive easy so it goes back up to 30 so she wont get pissy :lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
from what i have noticed, if you reset the gauge, and you drive for a mile or two, then stop at a light, the average will start to go down... the average is from the time the car is started, until it is shut off... it gives you the average of the running time of the car, not just the driven mileage...

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
sleepy3863 said:
from what i have noticed, if you reset the gauge, and you drive for a mile or two, then stop at a light, the average will start to go down... the average is from the time the car is started, until it is shut off... it gives you the average of the running time of the car, not just the driven mileage...
Mine takes an average until i manually clear it. After a few hundred miles the average starts to change really slowly. I figure its designed to be reset manually every time you fill with gas so you can see your average per tank.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Aaron Gilbert said:
Well technically, I would say it's inaccurate. Lie would imply that the computer knows the truth and chooses to report a different figure. :cool:
No, they lie!:cheesy:

Mine never shows less than 55mpg on day to day driving, all the under bonnet tweakery may have confused it and it's trying to please me. On the track tho it soon shows it's displeasure and drops to around 10mpg. They're alive you know.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Andyaero said:
No, they lie!:cheesy:

Mine never shows less than 55mpg on day to day driving, all the under bonnet tweakery may have confused it and it's trying to please me. On the track tho it soon shows it's displeasure and drops to around 10mpg. They're alive you know.
:D :D aye the bigger the injectors you fit the more they lie, but what is it with that daft wee no., you can,t help but get transfixed by it & you damn near go out and buy a pint to celebrate when it goes up by 0.1mpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts