SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know where i can get a double din dvd player for my 1999 saab 93. is there special kits i need to get to have a double din in my car. i notice some kenwood ones on a couple car domains sites. i was wanted to get one on ebay and go from there. what are the things i need to get to make it work. let me know thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
22 Posts
Viggen_93 said:
Do you guys know where i can get a double din dvd player for my 1999 saab 93. is there special kits i need to get to have a double din in my car. i notice some kenwood ones on a couple car domains sites. i was wanted to get one on ebay and go from there. what are the things i need to get to make it work. let me know thanks.

Eric
The slot in 9-3 is not exactly double-DIN size. It's more like 1,5-DIN.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
They have them on thesaabsite but they are so expensive I know somewhere..there cheaper. Yeah i am also looking for one for my 9-5 but one that is inexpensive..my student life doesnt permit me to buy expensive things :cheesy:

P.S I saw someone who was selling Built-in Navs in the Classified you should check it out.

P.S again: How much are you willing to spend..I was checking around in the forum and someone just bought this.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=17995

·
Registered
246 Posts
Double DIN unit

I have been thinking about this mod for some time now and have done a bit of research into the subject (mainly on this and other Saab forums) and here is what i have found.

1 Our Radio slot is a DIN and 3/4 not double DIN and i have not found anything that is that size.

2 If you fit a double Din size unit, which is possible with a bit of trimming to the facia,it will not sit flush with the dash as the rear of the unit hits a heater blower pipe which tilts the bottom of the unit out slightly.

3 Do you want to start trimming the carbon facia of the car ? I know didn`t.

4 If you fit a single Din unit with a motorised screen it will hit the indicator / washer stalk when it comes out, it will also cover the SID unit.

I looked at fitting a touch screen into the dash and putting a CD/DVD tuner into the glove box but every time i enquired about the cost of this i felt light headed and had to go for a lie down.

There is also the issue of security, i dont`t know what the car crime is like where you stay but to have a 7 inch touch screen monitor in the dash is like showing a red rag to a bull where i live and i don`t think it would last too long.

On the other hand it would look outstanding, as it does in one of the previous posts, but as always it comes down to how much you want it and what you are prepared to sacrfice to have it.

Hope i dont sound too negative, just honest,
Kenny.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Wow, that viggen looks amazing! Is that a custom nav system? What about the boost gauge pod? Where can I get such amazing-ness?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
stamonkey said:
Wow, that viggen looks amazing! Is that a custom nav system? What about the boost gauge pod? Where can I get such amazing-ness?
2007 93 SS nav system
The pod is custom made. I think I have a tutorial on how to make that :cheesy:

I got a spare mirror inside cover to make the pod and will be doing that soon. I love custom things :cheesy: You'll have to relocate the mirror switch.

I love the CF steering wheel and door handles. HOT :cool:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
hkayssi said:
2007 93 SS nav system
The pod is custom made. I think I have a tutorial on how to make that :cheesy:

I got a spare mirror inside cover to make the pod and will be doing that soon. I love custom things :cheesy: You'll have to relocate the mirror switch.

I love the CF steering wheel and door handles. HOT :cool:
Can you PM me the turorial? Or post it?

The nav system looks so amazing, but I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg from the dealership.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I'd wish! That's not my car.
This is a regular Viggen dash. I personally would rather have the CF dash. I don't think they're worth the price to be honest. Eapect to pay $100 or more for a used one. There's one for sale on saabnet.

I've been looking for a Viggen for a while now. They're rare in Montreal and the ones that turn up for sale are either badly maintained, crashed or abused. I decided to buy a T5 1999 SE instead for next summer.

That said I have my custom parts and Viggen at that :cool:
http://www.photosleeve.com/v/hkayssi-SAAB/My+Custom+Emblems/
I don't make those I designed them and a maker in the UK made those and sold them on ebay until he got out of the business.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
stamonkey said:
Can you PM me the turorial? Or post it?

The nav system looks so amazing, but I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg from the dealership.
I'm not sure they're that expensive out of a wrecked SAAB but I haven't checked.

I'll look for the tutorial I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

Edit:
Sorry I couldn't find the tutorial :cry: but will post a link when I find it.

I found a link to something similar for a speaker. Obviously, you won't need something this elaborate to hold the pod as there's no vibration with the pod.
http://www.garaget.org/?car=23985

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.