SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard do you think it would be to replace the piston rings without pulling the engine? I did this on a Dodge Dart by pulling the pistons out the bottom but I don't know if it's possible on a 95 9000CSE or even worth it. If I have to pull the engine, I'm just going to sell it. I don't have time for something involved.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Removing the cast alloy sump in situ is a big job. You cannot get at the big end bearings to release the pistons unless you drop that sump. Pulling the engine is going to be easier I think.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
If you have a lift, it's quite easy to do the job. The problem I forsee is that more work would be needed.
I replaced rings that way once, but the car had less than 3k miles on it; I knew everything else was like new. On an old car, it's a mistake to think you can just replace piston rings and have no further trouble.
Used engines are plentiful and cheap.

·
Registered
99 Posts
dmtinker said:
How hard do you think it would be to replace the piston rings without pulling the engine? I did this on a Dodge Dart by pulling the pistons out the bottom but I don't know if it's possible on a 95 9000CSE or even worth it. If I have to pull the engine, I'm just going to sell it. I don't have time for something involved.
As said above, it would likely be easyer/quicker/cheaper to either put a replacement used engine in, or just find another car in better condition.

What is the problem with the rings? On a previous car I had one leaky oil ring, and so it burnt a lot of oil.. I wasted a lot of money rebuilding the head (thinking it was stem seals, didnt touch bottem end) and then a few months ago the clutch/gearbox went... so now i have a saab instead :)
I would guess replacing a bad oil ring has a much higher chance of sucsess than a failed compression ring, since that would likley need the cylinders to be honed/bored to remove scratches.

Also Im interested to know, why can some engines have pistons removed from the bottom, but most engines they have to come out the top. Is this a requirement for the engine? just a different way of doing things? or something that can only be done on a new engine that has not got worn cylinder walls?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts