SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the known issues that could leave me stranded at the side if the road?
I am really looking for the maintence items or items that have a high failire rate.

I do not have a lot of history in the car but I am finding a lot of issues that lead me to believe it was not well maintained

·
Registered
273 Posts
Assuming the car you're talking about is the one in your sig, the most notorious failure-prone part is the ignition cassette especially if yours is the original. Expensive, and touchy. Many people keep a used, known to be working one in their trunk. Fuel pump, crank position sensor, mass air flow sensor. If you are concerned about lack of maintenance, many people would recommend dropping the oil pan to check for sludge, and making sure you have the latest PCV update to prevent sludge buildup. Lots of info on this board, use the search function.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What are the known issues that could leave me stranded at the side if the road?
I am really looking for the maintenance items or items that have a high failure rate.

I do not have a lot of history in the car but I am finding a lot of issues that lead me to believe it was not well maintained
It would help if the condition, miles, and history were knowns, rather than unknowns.
I know that a failed DIC(ignition cassette), a FP(fuel pump) and a CPS(crank position.....) can leave a man stranded which is not so good.
The mass airflow sensor , I do NOT know about.
A failed ignition switch can also be the canoe less oars, but this is less frequent.
During the 100 to 150K mile range, I'd renew the FP, the CPS, and the DIC.
IMO, these are maintenance items...The switch ? Try to monitor this...all of these items do give moans and groans of impending break-down....its up to us to sense this...
We need computerized enhancement, our senses are not that good...

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
An alternator that stops charging won't leave you stranded immediately. Mine failed during the day and I shut down everything like the ACC and radio to reduce the load on the battery. I got home in about an hour, but by then the wipers wouldn't run. The down side is that the battery got toasted. But luckily, both the alternator and battery were still under warranty. I just had to change them... Ron

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has about 140K on it. I was told the fuel pump was replaced. I only know this because they screwed up the fuel gauge during the install (per previous owner).
I will look into a crank position sensor but it sounds like the DIC may be a little expense to replace as a maintenance item.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
A spare DIC is more like a spare tire: it can fail anytime, any place and leave you stgranded. The newer cars have separate coils for each cylinder.

I always carry a spare serpentine belt along with a spare idler pulley.

I have currently put a little over 30-k miles on this car which cost $1000 + $500 for a used 5-speed transmission = $.05/mile. Total gas is less than $.095/mile, so less than $.15/mile is not too bad in my book... Rn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts