SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went drag racing today, my best time was 15.00 @ 95mph, now this is not right for a stage 2 '97 900se turbo. Stock its supposed to make it too 15.2 and with such a drastic power increase I doubt that I would only get .2 better. BUT my problem is 1st gear, 2 things about it: I can only rev to between 2-3k before uncontrollable wheelspin occurs before launching, but the engine also seems to bog down if I floor it in that gear, now I was only able to get 15.00 once, but I got 15.1 a few times. What would be best to help keep the tires on the road, I know this is where my problem lies, so what should I do?
Plus if there is a suggested method of launching (pre rev to _______?) Please let me know.
Any help appreciated!

PS: I don't want to blow up my differential, any ideas on how to avoid that?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If it was me, i would bring a set of slicks mounted on wheels in the trunk and change them when you get there. It would be a pain, but you would get good traction. Of course, all that added traction is going to take a toll on your transmission. Nick has a video on genuinesaab.com where he blows the transmission, but he's also running sub 11.5s... Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
that does sound like you are having some isues i ran a 15.2 on standard tune on mine with boost issues here in the uk

also my car is about 150KG lighter than a saab as ive got a b204L engine in a vauxhall astra

the slicks do make a massive differece ive tried some on mine with some spare wheels ive got

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If it was me, i would bring a set of slicks mounted on wheels in the trunk and change them when you get there. It would be a pain, but you would get good traction. Of course, all that added traction is going to take a toll on your transmission. Nick has a video on genuinesaab.com where he blows the transmission, but he's also running sub 11.5s... Ron
actually slicks prove to have less stress on the drivetrain. what kills drivetrain components in drag racing is wheel hop, slicks will never do that, its just a matter of correctly sizing and airing them to get the right balance between spin and traction.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
So I went drag racing today, my best time was 15.00 @ 95mph, now this is not right for a stage 2 '97 900se turbo. Stock its supposed to make it too 15.2 and with such a drastic power increase I doubt that I would only get .2 better. BUT my problem is 1st gear, 2 things about it: I can only rev to between 2-3k before uncontrollable wheelspin occurs before launching, but the engine also seems to bog down if I floor it in that gear, now I was only able to get 15.00 once, but I got 15.1 a few times. What would be best to help keep the tires on the road, I know this is where my problem lies, so what should I do?
Plus if there is a suggested method of launching (pre rev to _______?) Please let me know.
Any help appreciated!

PS: I don't want to blow up my differential, any ideas on how to avoid that?
Drag racing is tuff, it takes practice to get it just right and the increased power to go faster is much higher than you would think. Many put the ratio at 1/10th for every 50bhp. Up here in Denver, many stg 4 Aeros have only run in the 15.0 range.

You can check some times on dragtimes.com

The 60' time is key and the tricks are to pre-load the suspension and get the turbo spinning. This can be done by holding the E-brake and slipping the clutch and launching at about 3200rpm or wherever that fine line is between bogging and spinning, its a fine line for sure! Then the key is to roll into the throttle as quickly as possible without spinning the tires, right on the verge of traction, many people slip the clutch a lot to get this just right in first gear and get below a 2.3 60' time.

Then you look at suspension and tires and pressure. I like to run 45psi in the rear and about 23psi in the front for better traction. Then its drag radials and adjustable shocks so you can soften the front and stiffen the rear.

For reference, stock ng900's and 93's up in Denver run in the 16.5 range;)

That is not a bad time to start out with, keep practicing and you should be able to get into the high 14's.

Here is a jsp stg 3 that ran 15.2, you are right in the ball park as far as I am concerned,

http://www.dragtimes.com/Saab-900-Timeslip-13126.html

Here is a list of all the fast ng900's

http://www.dragtimes.com/Saab--900-Drag-Racing.html

John

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, well my tires are getting to a worn status in the front, but I know that the ng900 is capable of a 15.2 stock time, so I would expect my stage 2 getting me into the upper/mid 14's. But also this was my first time ever drag racing.

that does sound like you are having some isues i ran a 15.2 on standard tune on mine with boost issues here in the uk

also my car is about 150KG lighter than a saab as ive got a b204L engine in a vauxhall astra

the slicks do make a massive differece ive tried some on mine with some spare wheels ive got

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You speak the truth man, but altitude isn't much of an issue in Portland, OR (50' above sea level). One good thing is that you don't need a dragstrip to practice launching so I could just practice it. I revved up to 4k once and that was just a burnout, so much so that I gave up on the run all-together and just cruised to the end in 21 seconds. My best time was 15.009 @94.79mph, in that run my 60' was 2.433, but another run was 15.43 @93.82, but my 60' was only slightly higher at 2.476, so I suppose on that run my shifting was better overall. But the 1st gear to 2nd gear shift at high rpms, combating torque steer, and balancing traction is the toughest part of the whole run. Your estimate of 3200rpms sounds pretty close to ideal, but if I go to lets say 33 34 or 35 total traction loss occurs, my tire pressure was about 32psi all around, how should I change that?

I'm certain that you're mile-high altitude is what is hindering 900's from doing what they're supposed to do with such a low o2 content.

Drag racing is tuff, it takes practice to get it just right and the increased power to go faster is much higher than you would think. Many put the ratio at 1/10th for every 50bhp. Up here in Denver, many stg 4 Aeros have only run in the 15.0 range.

You can check some times on dragtimes.com

The 60' time is key and the tricks are to pre-load the suspension and get the turbo spinning. This can be done by holding the E-brake and slipping the clutch and launching at about 3200rpm or wherever that fine line is between bogging and spinning, its a fine line for sure! Then the key is to roll into the throttle as quickly as possible without spinning the tires, right on the verge of traction, many people slip the clutch a lot to get this just right in first gear and get below a 2.3 60' time.

Then you look at suspension and tires and pressure. I like to run 45psi in the rear and about 23psi in the front for better traction. Then its drag radials and adjustable shocks so you can soften the front and stiffen the rear.

That is not a bad time to start out with, keep practicing and you should be able to get into the high 14's.

Here is a jsp stg 3 that ran 15.2, you are right in the ball park as far as I am concerned,

John

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

John
That run was also at altitude - ~4500 feet in Salt Lake City on a summer night in August. Also, wastegate didn't have a spring to keep it from blowing open. I took it back home here in Kansas City and ran a [email protected] after adding the spring and large IC. Even with those changes, altitude makes one hell of a difference. I'm always excited as I drive back to Kansas City from Utah as the altitude gets lower and lower..

What was your 60' time on this run? I missed it, if you posted it. As everyone has been saying, drag racing is hard. But practice the e-brake/clutch slip method or even try it without the e-brake. I think on the day I ran the 14.5, I had a similar time with just a simple take off, like from at a stop light, except I slipped the clutch a bit to get things going quicker. Just keep trying and you'll get it down. If all else fails, buy slicks.

EDIT: For tire pressure, high in the rear and low in the front.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How high in rear and how low in front? And what kind of slicks? Any good links?

That run was also at altitude - ~4500 feet in Salt Lake City on a summer night in August. Also, wastegate didn't have a spring to keep it from blowing open. I took it back home here in Kansas City and ran a [email protected] after adding the spring and large IC. Even with those changes, altitude makes one hell of a difference. I'm always excited as I drive back to Kansas City from Utah as the altitude gets lower and lower..

What was your 60' time on this run? I missed it, if you posted it. As everyone has been saying, drag racing is hard. But practice the e-brake/clutch slip method or even try it without the e-brake. I think on the day I ran the 14.5, I had a similar time with just a simple take off, like from at a stop light, except I slipped the clutch a bit to get things going quicker. Just keep trying and you'll get it down. If all else fails, buy slicks.

EDIT: For tire pressure, high in the rear and low in the front.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lower pressure in the front means they will be flatter at the bottom meaning more surface area and therefore more traction!

Dont run around with them like this all the time if your doing it on your normal tires because it wears at the sidewalls over time (actually staying in the 20s cant be too bad for the sidewalls)

Oh and I wanted to say thanks for the generosity!! I just got it back the other day! If you ever need anything else let me know, Esp if you wanna bring it to a higher level!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
What tires were you running? In my opinion/experience more power in first will hurt your time depending on your setup. Practice makes perfect, but a good sign is the 95mph trap speed. With practice i think you can probably get to 14.8 ish

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lower pressure in the front means they will be flatter at the bottom meaning more surface area and therefore more traction!

Dont run around with them like this all the time if your doing it on your normal tires because it wears at the sidewalls over time (actually staying in the 20s cant be too bad for the sidewalls)

Oh and I wanted to say thanks for the generosity!! I just got it back the other day! If you ever need anything else let me know, Esp if you wanna bring it to a higher level!
Not a problem, nice doing business with you, great to hear you got it tho. I just wish your tunes could give better traction, but hey, despite that it took about a whole second off my 0-60 times. But eh, I'm a drag racing noob anyways, there's time to improve.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What tires were you running? In my opinion/experience more power in first will hurt your time depending on your setup. Practice makes perfect, but a good sign is the 95mph trap speed. With practice i think you can probably get to 14.8 ish
That's what I'm thinking too, my best time of 15 flat was with a good launch, I didn't even shift all that great the rest of the way, so if I wait just a little longer to shift from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th I think I might squeeze a lil extra out, just have to be sure I don't hit the rev limiter wall.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
That's what I'm thinking too, my best time of 15 flat was with a good launch, I didn't even shift all that great the rest of the way, so if I wait just a little longer to shift from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th I think I might squeeze a lil extra out, just have to be sure I don't hit the rev limiter wall.
Yeah, try to wind it out to just over 6K and try to stay in first as much as you can even though all senses tell you to shift due to the wheels spinning becasue you'll bog down in 2nd if you dont

1 - 16 of 16 Posts