SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, last night i was hangin out in a parking lot with some friends and one of my friends brought this kid who had a 2002 wrx with 355awhp. this thing was awesome. i am a huge subaru fan and i loved the car. i especially love the new wrx's with the different headlights. and the sti is amazing in my oppinion and will probably be my next car.
anyway, as this kid drove off he got on his BOV and all i can say is WOWWWW. i have the optiflow air kit and ppc and i think my turbo is loud!! u could have heard this blow off from down the street, it was awesome!
what do u guys think, whats ur oppinion of subarus?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Subarus are really well designed cars with strong rally roots. The only let down IMO is the interior, featureless and relatively sparse, otherwise great great cars.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Automaggot said:
But that could just be jealousy on my part, especially if we're talking about the STi.
STi 's are so commonplace in SoCal now its not even funny. It used to be that once in a blue moon I'd see an STi, now I see about as many STi's as I see M3's.

Come to think of it, I probably see fewer SAABs than I do STi's or M3s, let alone SAAB Aero/Vectors.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hah, yeah, I see a lot too. Last night we had just walked out of Fenway Park after the Sox game and an awesome looking 850R pulled out of a parking lot and went by. It was cherry red, gunmetal wheels, lowered and had what looked to be IPD exhaust... then an STi pulled out right behind it with a gigantic Tekademics decal on the windshield. We were all a little buzz-happy from the game and I told the STi driver that the Volvo was cooler.

I know, I know... bad me. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I test drove the STI, love it, great car but all the money was spent on performance. The hood scoop and the gigantic spoiler would vibrate visibly at highway speeds. no car can compare to the sound of a flat four.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
One of my friends has an STi, and he let me drive it. The ride was absolute crap, and the wing just looks bad IMO. Great car for the money, for a daily driver, I'd get fed up with the ride after a while, you felt all the little cracks that I don't feel, even with rims....it would've been interesting if Saab had gotten that motor and put it in the SS, even instead of the turbo V6.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ever since I drove my friends STi I have had similiar thoughts. A Saabura 9-3 STi would get me back to the dealership in a hurry!

·
Registered
739 Posts
My neighbour has a ltd addition 98 Terrzo imprezza and he uses it as a toy. Bang for buck they are good value but i personally couldn't live with one as a daily driver i think they look a little crass. The only weak points on these cars seem to be the clutches he has had 2 in 50k. if you can live with the image and the interior it is a good buy.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
A WRX was in the running, but I ended up with the 93SS. My wife nixed it based on the interior quality.

I nixed it based on the small speaker openings. I think the biggest speaker in the car is 5.25"! Plus you have to fit a sub in the spare tire area. The underseat subwoofer option they had was a joke.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
No disrespect to the WRX or the young 20 somethings in the crowd, but the car is the epitome of a 20something-out-of-college-have-my-first-IT-job car.

It is a really neat car and really sporty and relativly inexpensive compared to other cars with the very similar performance (A4, C230K, 330xi). Just seems like one could outgrow it in a matter of 2 years.

A colleague of mine opted for a C230K Coupe back in '01 over the WRX. He reminds me nearly every time we go to lunch and see a WRX how happy he is with his decision.
Besides, could you look at yourself in the mirror at the end of every day knowing you drive a car affectionately referred to as a "Scoobie" ? ;) just kidding.

·
Registered
895 Posts
mbodo said:
Come to think of it, I probably see fewer SAABs than I do STi's or M3s, let alone SAAB Aero/Vectors.
theres a hand full of each around here, but a decent chunk of Linears. nowhere near as much as WRX/STI and...lol, civics.:lol: but yeah, the Aero/Vector is few and far between out here.

·
Registered
895 Posts
mbodo said:
No disrespect to the WRX or the young 20 somethings in the crowd, but the car is the epitome of a 20something-out-of-college-have-my-first-IT-job car.

QUOTE]

unfortunatly, you're right! cuz it WOULD be a fun car to mod. however, EVERYONE has one! oh well. guess its time for the 300ZX TT!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi chaps, a WRX was the last car I tested before i ended up with the SAAB. Here in the UK the WRX is a pretty common site now. Too many of them look way over the top in my opionion. Fantastic car though. Great engine great handling very solid feel. But the interior was very very drab and basic. What was good was the one that i tested had prodrive upgrades on it. Quick shifter and all, felt great. But there are times (most of the time) when after work i want a relaxing drive home. The WRX just felt a bit to much on edge. I'm sure that if i had one i'd have lost my license by now!

My Aero isn't mile behind in speed.. but it is miles in front for comfort. And thats what took it for me.

Also there are alot of kids here doing stupid things to perfectly good Imprezas. And i'm too old now to be in with that crowd! :p shame

One thing though, if i was gonna go for a WRX kind of car, the Mitsubishi EVO would be high on my list. Excellent cars, faster than imprezas straight out of the box, but 4500 mile service intervals! yeh right

I would still like an M3 though next. they are not that common over here, very fast, brilliant handling provided you have no bigger than 18 inch wheels and not the 19's, huge levels of comfort.... shame almost its a BM!

:p

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
M4Gunner said:
I hear ya blade. the M3 is nice, but at this point, im hooked on turbo. i couldnt see going back to N/A.
I feel the same way! Maybe a Supra TT for my next car, converted Skyline perhaps...who know's but turbos are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Cayman1 said:
I feel the same way! Maybe a Supra TT for my next car, converted Skyline perhaps...who know's but turbos are the way to go.
A kid that used to work for me made his supra a true e-ticket ride. I don't know the specs or much of what he did to it, to the best of my knowledge it was a single, monster turbo that didn't kick in until about 2000-2500rpm.

Probably the fastest car I've been in to date, but talk about turbo lag.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts