SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently imported an early 2000s or similar era Saab from Canada into the US? I've seen a few posts about importing other cars or older Saabs, but not a Saab that's just kind of old. I checked all of the stickers and identification plates on my 2000 9-5 to see if they mention anything about Canadian and US regulations, but they're all just for the US. I know there aren't any differences between Canadian and US models from 2002, but I'm wondering what it takes to prove that to US Customs, especially now that Saab is defunct.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
I know there aren't any differences between Canadian and US models from 2002, but I'm wondering what it takes to prove that to US Customs, especially now that Saab is defunct.

Not so, the speedometers were in km/h only up until the end of the NG9-3 anyway (not sure about NG9-5....and the 9-4X was never sold in Canada).

The safety requirements should be the same, and ditto the emissions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As for regulations, I think Canada complies with California requirements. First Mimmi, now you, there are not many SAABs left up here!

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had actually noticed the km/h instrument cluster on the car I was looking at. I've got a Tech 2 and a bunch of Pick and Pulls nearby, plus eBay, so I figured that getting a MPH cluster wouldn't be a huge issue. My biggest concern is just proving to the authorities that the car meets all applicable US standards. I've heard that sometimes the manufacturer has to issue a letter, which isn't an option for a Saab, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
Well, the Canadian government has a handy guide, which basically says that Saabs are OK to come in from the US as long as they have immobilizers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts