SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All--

I'm buying a 97 900S later today. Automatic, 160K miles. Drove it and looked at it yesterday; slept on it, and for $800 I figure "why not?"

I've had a number of E36 BMWs and am well familiar with what you do to them immediately after buying them--water pump, thermostat, coolant, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, radiator (often), etc.

I'd be grateful for a list of things I should do the instant I buy it. I take the oil, oil filter air filter, etc., as givens, but what else would you recommend? I've searched around some and haven't seen anything like the requirement to replace water pump/thermostat on an E36. My main concern is to make sure the car runs well for a while.

All your thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
152 Posts
All--

I've had a number of E36 BMWs and am well familiar with what you do to them immediately after buying them--water pump, thermostat, coolant, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, radiator (often), etc.
All your thoughts appreciated!
Welcome. So, you decided to abandon the Ultimate Driving Machine for the amazing torque steer of a FWD car, eh?:cool:

Longjohn sent you a great link to get started. Here are some other thoughts:

1. You might replace the fuel pump and CPS if they're original. These are two items that result in dead cars after 100k miles.

2. You might remove the serp belt and inspect all the pulleys/bearings for wear and resistance. (Put on a new serp belt when you're done.) It's common for the idler pulleys to go bad, for the A/C to seize, etc. But there are warning signs well in advance.

Otherwise, enjoy your new $800 car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I'll follow both recommendations. Already have an order placed with RM European for a bunch of maintenance stuff, and I'll be researching these forums to keep myself on track.

Just drove it about 35 miles and it averaged 31 MPG and felt good. Very different feel than a BMW, but I expected that, having had a 94 900S in the late 90s. Solid, secure, a bit numb relative to my last 325i--the 900 feels a bit more stolid, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Thanks!

I'll follow both recommendations. Already have an order placed with RM European for a bunch of maintenance stuff, and I'll be researching these forums to keep myself on track.

Just drove it about 35 miles and it averaged 31 MPG and felt good. Very different feel than a BMW, but I expected that, having had a 94 900S in the late 90s. Solid, secure, a bit numb relative to my last 325i--the 900 feels a bit more stolid, if that makes sense.
I'm originally a BMW guy but went SAAB and stayed for 5 years now but I'll buy a BMW soon again (M3 vert). Not leaving the SAAB world though, just mixing :D

I have BMW in the blood as my dad was a BMW dealer since I was a kid and we always had BMWs for a long time.

Having said that, a SAAB is really different in a good and bad way if that makes any sense :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having said that, a SAAB is really different in a good and bad way if that makes any sense :lol:
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. It's a good car--that's why I went back to one--and it is simply different from the BMWs I've had.

Just washed and waxed it--which makes it look a LOT better. Oil, oil filter, air filter, etc., tomorrow--some basic maintenance stuff that the prior owner appeared to have kept up with.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome. So, you decided to abandon the Ultimate Driving Machine for the amazing torque steer of a FWD car, eh?:cool:

Longjohn sent you a great link to get started. Here are some other thoughts:

1. You might replace the fuel pump and CPS if they're original. These are two items that result in dead cars after 100k miles.

2. You might remove the serp belt and inspect all the pulleys/bearings for wear and resistance. (Put on a new serp belt when you're done.) It's common for the idler pulleys to go bad, for the A/C to seize, etc. But there are warning signs well in advance.

Otherwise, enjoy your new $800 car.
I agree with the fuel pump idea. I was left stranded at a gas station after filling my tank! I have owned a 95' 900s and currently own my 99' 9-3. On my 9-3 I replaced the fuel pump as preventative maintenance.

Something really easy to do is pull the throttle body off and clean. Also the IAC (or is it AIC?). Idle air controller. Check out these great referances you can use:

thesaabsite.com
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/
http://www.saabproject.com/NG900SET/main.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts