SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So my mother purchased a 2000 saab 9-5 with around 120000 miles a few weeks ago. This evening she stopped by because the coolant low light came on. Which it was so I topped it off. I wanted to check to make sure there was no coolant leaking so I ran the car for a few minutes and noticed the check engine light was on. When I read the codes they where p1110 and p0171. I believe they could be related due to a vacuum line being off near the firewall. I am going to replace those this weekend since they are in pretty bad shape. Was there anything else to check ? But my other question/concern is about a connection on top of the motor near the oil fill that is very loose and didnt know if that was normal ? I did circle it in red as I didnt know what to call it.
Thank you and any help is much appreciated
Robbie
20191119_194910.jpg

Registered
Welcome aboard Robbie!!!

What would possess your mother to buy a 19 year old Saab? 馃憤

More power to her and you and Saabs in general when you succeed.

The connection you have circled is a valve cover vent for the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV) it doesn't matter much if that fitting is a little loose.

Getting the vacuum hoses up to snuff is a great idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and a great question. She was looking to replace her subaru with 300k on the body/160k on the motor with something that had less miles. I also think it was the price. I read good things about them and bad things about them so I was little skeptical about the purchase.

I live in NH and my aunt was moving to Indiana last week but only wanted to take her newer car. So my aunt sent the saab into the shop to get checked out prior to sale to make sure it was all good. They ended up replacing some upper hoses (near the oil fill and under that black cover. Which I'll probably remove because it just sits there and rattles) My aunt wanted $1200 originally and they agreed on $800 since the moving day was getting closer. My aunt let her use her plates for the holiday weekend. When she went over to pick the plates up she gave an additional $290 back. So total she has $510 into it.

Would there be any additional items to check while I do the vacuum lines ?

Registered
That pic looks like a 9-3 not a 9-5. Same engine though.

Where the charge pipe/air supply goes onto the throttle body there鈥檚 an o-ring which gets compressed flat, and leaks air.

Under the front of that rattling engine cover, at the rear of the rocker cover, is a no return valve which can break.

The evap system non return valves often stick open, the tubes rot (like the vacuum lines) and check the evap valve actually works (a click with 12 volts applied).

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
She was gone before I got a picture. So I took a screen shot of that one that looked similar off a website. I'll check it. I noticed some new hoses and fittings under the black cover that are about an 1" in diameter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts