SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i have a 1998 Saab 95 and it will not start ! it was running fine until i pulled onto a mates driveway turned the car off, went in for a cup a tea came back out 30mins later and it would not start. The engine turns over but wont run, although if i take the battery off for a moment then reconnect it the engine fires up for about 3 seconds then dies again, i have changed the ignition cassette with no luck, changed the MAF sensor with no luck, then i looked at all the small pipes and found a broken one going into the charge air control valve which has been replaced and still no luck grrrrrr there is fuel pressure on the fuel rail and the alarm seem to work fine so im a bit lost please please can anyone help i need to move this car asap :eek:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check codes first, verify that the fuel pressure is constant, not building up then falling off when cranking, which might mean there is a clog, or pressure regulating problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no one in my area with that sort of equipment, is there anything i can do to troubleshoot this fuel idea ?? Also when i pressed the fuel rail pressure release thingy bob it has alot of pressure as it soaked me in fuel ?

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Think the basics man. To start you need spark, compression, fuel, and air.
The easiest thing to do first is to spray some starting fluid into the TB and see if it fires up. If so you have a fuel issue.
Take out your DIC and put plugs in it while out of the engine. Take some wire and ground the threads of the plugs to the engine block or another sutable ground. Have your friend crank over the engine and see if you have spark.
Also, have you replaced the parts with KNOWN good working parts? I've been down the road of ruling something out when using an equally bad part...
Report back soldier,
Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i tested the DI and all plugs did spark fine, i can also hear the fuel pump priming and working but still no luck ??? what would you suggest is my next step? please don't say take it to a garage because this is not an option nor call someone with a tech2 because there isn't anyone around my area with any equipment like this.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Very unlikely. A Bad 02 sensor won't keep it from running. It might run rich or lean etc and would throw a code, but unlikely to keep it from running.

You could have a clogged catalytic ocnverter, which would keep it from starting but that seems unlikely as you would have had some kind of telltale signs.

You still never said what codes it is throwing. You can get a code reader for less than $50. Without any idea of what codes you are getting this is just a guessing game. Need soemthing to laser in on.

Did you check the connector on the CPS? When you changed it, did you pull out the old rings?

Did you verify the MAF connector was tight?

Did you try spraying starter fluid in as suggested to see if you could get it to run through the TB?

Is it in Limp Home Mode? Any indication that the throttle body failed? Connecters to the TB tight?

I am thinking you have a totally failed throttle body assuming everything else is ok...NEED CODES!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have checked the connections on the cps and on the maf and on the tb and they all seem fine and clean, i also tried a different TB with no luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for the code readers ha ! i have bought several OBD leads to read code from this car but have found nothing is compatible with this year of car, i think it was 2002 onwards they went over to OBD2 instead of just tech 2.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's just shots in the dark until you know what that engine light is for. There are Saab garages in Yeovil and Bath. Surely, you aren't too far from one of them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you want to keep shooting in the dark, the last thing I can think of is the engine control module/computer. If that is dead it wont run. If you can find one to swap in that will eliminate another possibility.

I have no more ideas...seems like you have checked everything else...

·
Registered
23 Posts
uh, i think everyone else on here is just naming off the first part they can think of, it most likely is a problem with your fuel system, if your car didnt die while driving before that tells me the alternator is charging the battery just fine, you said that the car starts up, but wont stay running, so that tells me the battery has enough charge and it is a fuel system problem. with cars you dont have to think big. typically the problem lies with the simplest part. i would check the fuel filter because that is one filter that not too many people change. and obviously if your filter is clogged you arent getting the right pressure or flow to your engine if that doesnt solve your problem it could be your fuel system regulator, or the pump itself, which is unlikely, some fuel pumps have the regulator built in though, so if it is that your going to have to get a whole new pump, strainer etc.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
It's just shots in the dark until you know what that engine light is for. There are Saab garages in Yeovil and Bath. Surely, you aren't too far from one of them.

I had a shop drive 20 miles with a Tech2 in hand to help me out once. Cost $75.00, money well spent instead of time wasted grasping at straws.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts