SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gotta hand it to Uma, she never fails to surprise, and this time it was in the good way :cheesy: i dunno how typical it is for this mileage, but i was impressed personally... anyway, long story short, i went to charlotte on a whim at about 1am this morning (saturday), and drove back home around 9 that same morning :lol: i went to visit a friend, but i digress... the trip is almost exactly 200 miles, so, 400 miles total, i used a total of just over 20 gallons, meaning about 20mpg... i made the trip each way in about 2.5 hours each way, meaning i was averaging a relatively high rate of speed (between 80 and 90mph on the way down to be precise, now before you go yelling at me, remember, it was the WEE hours of the morning, no one was on the roads :lol: )... i dunno how typical that is, but i know none of our other cars would have gotten 20mpg at an average of 85mph :eek: does everyone else get this kinda mileage?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Once I drove around those kinda speeds in my 90 900 T and I got 27,5 mi/gal with a leaky fuel filter.

Well this was taking into account the return trip that was done around 50-55 sometimes 60 mi/h but this was with an extra hood tied to the roof which slowed me down greatly.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I average 27mpg with my hybrid turbo and the cheapest low octain gas I can find--30 in the summer w/out the icy roads. But that's staying under 75. Revenue collection here is painful and frequent...

·
Registered
891 Posts
If I am really careful, and keep my foot out of it I can squeek mileage in the mid 30s out of my 87 900t. For compairison, I have never gotten my Dodge truck over 7, or my chrysler minivan over 18. I usuaully average about 23 in my subaru with the H6 3.0.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i tend to see a bit better than that, and i average 85mph (right along with the speed of traffic) and am rather heavy on the pedal when i accelerate. 24-26mpg.

then again, i have also gotten it down to about 17mpg... when i drive like i am just trying to break something (like another transmission)

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I got 28 MPG in my 1990 900 NA once on a trip to/back anacortez wa (6 hour drive one way)going up i went 75.going down i kept it at 85..some how my mpg was better going 85...I had to fill up before I left lewiston,after I got to anacortes(EEK!!!) then back in lewiston...

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i went to charlotte on a whim at about 1am this morning (saturday)
...and was she pleased to see you?

(between 80 and 90mph on the way down to be precise, now before you go yelling at me, remember, it was the WEE hours of the morning, no one was on the roads :lol: )...
Pfft. That's normal motorway cruise speed over here. Sit in lane three at 80, and you'll have a queue of stuff trying to get past.

i dunno how typical that is, but i know none of our other cars would have gotten 20mpg at an average of 85mph :eek: does everyone else get this kinda mileage?
Sounds low to me.
<mental arithmetic>
20 us gallons is 76 litres, 17 imperial gallons so 23.5mpig.

Yeh, definitely sounds low to me. I've only really done two long-trip checks with the odometer working - 27ish mpig from a largely 90mph 300mile round trip over Xmas, and 24ish from a 400 mile round trip at about 55-60mph with a ton and a half hanging off the tow bar...

I'm running at about 22mpig on my 10 mile narrow windy back lane commute.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I drove back and forth to D.C when my sister was dying and I got around 32 MPG @ 65-75 (traffic speed) while on cruise, along with a little passing and accelerating.
If you drive with care, you can pass and accelerat without mashing the pedal to the floor all the time:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i gotta hand it to Uma, she never fails to surprise, and this time it was in the good way :cheesy: i dunno how typical it is for this mileage, but i was impressed personally... anyway, long story short, i went to charlotte on a whim at about 1am this morning (saturday), and drove back home around 9 that same morning :lol: i went to visit a friend, but i digress... the trip is almost exactly 200 miles, so, 400 miles total, i used a total of just over 20 gallons, meaning about 20mpg... i made the trip each way in about 2.5 hours each way, meaning i was averaging a relatively high rate of speed (between 80 and 90mph on the way down to be precise, now before you go yelling at me, remember, it was the WEE hours of the morning, no one was on the roads :lol: )... i dunno how typical that is, but i know none of our other cars would have gotten 20mpg at an average of 85mph :eek: does everyone else get this kinda mileage?
that is impressive my friend.

·
Registered
751 Posts
no one believes what i got so i wont say :p

but less than 10MPG US or UK gallons is terrible. no wonder the ice is melting!! :eek:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
JimmyG said:
no one believes what i got so i wont say :p
A friend-of-a-friend went to collect a purchase a few years back. Picked it up, took it down the filling station, shoved £50 (yep, US$100) in the tank... and the needle didn't seem to move.

So he rings up the vendor. "No, it works fine. Put some more in. It's a 100 (imp) gallon tank"...

I seem to recall hearing he gets about 3 or 4 mpig from that Stalwart armoured car... Has to bounce it off kerbs every now and then to get a wheel or two airborne and unwind the drivetrain. 6wd in the middle of London is a little un-necessary, but I don't think he has many problems with people cutting him up.

My worst? 17mpig flat out at 55mph from the 4x4 2cv. 70 mile range. Drown, Polar Bear, drown.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
...and was she pleased to see you?

Pfft. That's normal motorway cruise speed over here. Sit in lane three at 80, and you'll have a queue of stuff trying to get past.

Sounds low to me.
<mental arithmetic>
20 us gallons is 76 litres, 17 imperial gallons so 23.5mpig.

Yeh, definitely sounds low to me. I've only really done two long-trip checks with the odometer working - 27ish mpig from a largely 90mph 300mile round trip over Xmas, and 24ish from a 400 mile round trip at about 55-60mph with a ton and a half hanging off the tow bar...

I'm running at about 22mpig on my 10 mile narrow windy back lane commute.
she was quite pleased to see me ;) and i mean, it wasn't like i was going a STEADY 90mph, morons kept pulling out in front of me, so many times i had to slow down to about 60mph, then accelerate up again... and i DID get up about 120 cruising down one of the long downhills

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
she was quite pleased to see me ;) and i mean, it wasn't like i was going a STEADY 90mph, morons kept pulling out in front of me, so many times i had to slow down to about 60mph, then accelerate up again... and i DID get up about 120 cruising down one of the long downhills
YEEHAW! I wish we had downhills in Florida! I have always used Ultimate 93 octane in my C900,and have never checked the mileage.But I'll bet it's pretty good. When in Charlotte,you need to check out http://swedishgarage.com. A great place with great people.They have a HUGE party every spring for Saab people.Live bands etc. Saabs old and new everywhere.Take your girlfriend,lots of women:cheesy: there.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
93 octane is a waste in a C900, unless you're at 85+ F ...

With mods, I see 32 mpg and have double a C900 hp and tq....

and a tranny that can handle it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
mike saunders said:

85+f... is a cool day in South Florida,spring,summer and fall.Winter cools off to 70 or 80.It was 85 humid degrees here Friday,Jan 18th. I took the Saab and went to the beach.:cool:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
mike saunders said:

Horse crap.

Stock APC 900s -longer and greater sustained boost is only possible with higher octane. This has been well documented in all Saabs with APC sytems.

When I have a red box APC installed in a 900 t16 the engine will nock with anything less than 90 Octane on full boost, 90-94 is essential.

When you crank up your boost you also need higher octane ALL the time, the APC will not allow enough boost to be vented and the engine will knock.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Maybe it is good fuel economy. Folk in the US may have a different perspective on fuel economy: cheap petrol and cars which generally aren't as fuel efficient as those in Europe.

We're all being frugal to make expensive petrol stretch as far as possible and our market is crowded with diesel cars which get 60MPG+ and petrol cars which get 40MPG+.

20 - 23MPG was about all I got out of my red T16...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
yeah, i generally get around mid to late twenties in Saabarella with her T6 primaries.... Ruby gets low 30's on a run... she has T7's

G

1 - 20 of 56 Posts