SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Haynes guide finally arrived today. I was very impressed to see it was hardcover. Until I opened it up and found the cheap newspaper quality paper inside. What gives?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
So what was your impression? One thing I love about the Haynes are the little tips here and there and bits of wisdom which are usually hidden. For example, when changing the belt, run the engine for a couple of seconds to have everything route and sit correctly. When changing plugs, use a piece of tubing to avoid cross threading, etc...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
JMarkert said:
My Haynes guide finally arrived today. I was very impressed to see it was hardcover. Until I opened it up and found the cheap newspaper quality paper inside. What gives?
By this, JM, you mean the English Haynes Saab900ng repair manual ?

After that useless Amazon.com strung me along for over a month, I canceled and may have found one on eBay for ,thus far, $33 ($10 more than Amazon). This one appears to be a "soft cover"..
Much better is ,IMO, a good repair manual over the INTERNET where the needed pages can be read and printed.
And we have this "manual" now scattered on tens of web-pages.

I do not think that level has been reached yet.
Sometimes the price of saving money is too high !

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asia wrote:
So what was your impression?
I haven't spent more than a couple minutes looking at it. I do really hate the cheap paper though. My car books tend to get a lot of use, so good acid free paper would have been nice. This stuff feels like newspaper.

The content seems pretty good though. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the details about doing interior work. I'm sure this will come in handy if I ever need to remove a door panel or something. The pictures and diagrams all look excellent. Far better than the .pdf's of TSB's I've been getting from Alldata.

and Earthworm wrote
By this, JM, you mean the English Haynes Saab900ng repair manual ?

After that useless Amazon.com strung me along for over a month, I canceled and may have found one on eBay for ,thus far, $33 ($10 more than Amazon).
Yup, that's the one. I also ordered mine from Amazon, and it did take more than a month. I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry. It's a little disappointing that Amazon can't get everything very quickly. I've been waiting more than a month now for another biology book.

It's good to know I can sell my Haynes on Ebay for a profit when I'm done with it :cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
JMarkert said:
Asia wrote:

I haven't spent more than a couple minutes looking at it. I do really hate the cheap paper though. My car books tend to get a lot of use, so good acid free paper would have been nice. This stuff feels like newspaper.

The content seems pretty good though. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the details about doing interior work. I'm sure this will come in handy if I ever need to remove a door panel or something. The pictures and diagrams all look excellent. Far better than the .pdf's of TSB's I've been getting from Alldata.

and Earthworm wrote

Yup, that's the one. I also ordered mine from Amazon, and it did take more than a month. I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry. It's a little disappointing that Amazon can't get everything very quickly. I've been waiting more than a month now for another biology book.

It's good to know I can sell my Haynes on Ebay for a profit when I'm done with it :cheesy:

You know, this could be a case of where you, JM, requested the book from Amazon before I did - my Amazon order date was 21 Feb 05 - and they probably had but one book in their pipeline at the $23 privce....Amazon also had a used book for $40 plus for those men in a big hurry. I'm too tight to be in a hurry.. lol:p lol :lol: lol.:cool:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Attn: Earthworm

EARTHWORM - I just checked my receipt. It looks like I ordered it after you - March 6th. 22 bucks. Maybe it's worth putting in another order and trying again? It's a shame to pay more for a used one. Or maybe try BarnesandNoble.com.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
JMarkert said:
What did you want it on Bible bank note paper :lol::cheesy::cheesy:

Stop moaning and get some oily finger prints on it.....

You'll end up with as bed time reading ;) Haynes have not always used the fiberous psper but it is probably to do with paper recycling.

Dead

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Yeah, it may look cheesy but it's pretty durable. Even coated w/ brake dust and oil!

As for softcover, I don't believe they sell a softcover of this one.

earthworm, try ordering direct from Haynes UK. Mine came in about a week from across the pond.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( First off, I think we're all a little hurt to learn that you and ragtop have been seeing other other forums. Did you think we wouldn't find out? ;) :cheesy:

I have to say that although the email you posted was depressing in the usual way of things that are driven by market research rather than content or quality (lik oh, say GM), it was refreshing to see that they actually sent you a personalized letter. I do give them credit for that.

Still, I wish I had a Bentley guide. Regardless, of the various options available, Haynes beats alldata by quite a bit. As earthworm keeps pointing out SaabCentral and the internet are better resources when you can find a specific procedure.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
JMarkert, I could not have put it better myself :D . IMHO, you cannot beat websites such as these for a whole better wealth of info., and more!
:nono; I shall now stand in the corner for a while, since I have been a naughty boy:nono;

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Haynes should realize that successful companies are not run by penny-pinching bean counters - as is GM - will they ever learn ?
Companies who maintain high standards may take a hit in the short run, but will survive in the long run..
$28 plus $5 will be my limit for the "cheap" manual - wish I had the $200 plus for the factory set of books..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts