SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I have owned SPG's and Viggen's. But never anything past 2002. I have a Subaru Outback now that is a great car, but the lease is up and I want a convertible.
I have to have an Aero, that part is non negotiable. I just can't decide between the 05' 4 cylinder or the 06' 6 cylinder. Is there that big of a speed difference? I know the 06' is heavier due to the engine weight. And I'd assume fuel economy is way better in the 05.
Other options were the Audi A4 and the Volvo C70 convertibles.
For those of you who own or have owned any of these cars. If you were in my shoes, what would you recommend?
THANKS in advance. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read that they get around 19MPG or so around town. I absolutely don't buy it. I was thinking closer to 16.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've read that they get around 19MPG or so around town. I absolutely don't buy it. I was thinking closer to 16.
I get about 19. I drive 2.4 miles to work every day. lots of stop and go. I rarely get it on the HW and when I do it's 5-10 miles at a time.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get about 19. I drive 2.4 miles to work every day. lots of stop and go. I rarely get it on the HW and when I do it's 5-10 miles at a time.
19 in the city actually isn't terrible for a V6. I think the 4 gets 21 in the city.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A friend of mine's got an '04 Aero four banger. Not sure of the BWHP numbers or even the torque, but I know he gets about 20 in mixed city driving in Denver; his highway averages 27 ... and he is not easy on the turbo, ever.

For perspective, my '05 Linear gets about 22 in the city and about 28 on the freeway, on premium fuel and average driving; both cars manuals.

Lots of factors when considering mileage; EPA estimates I have found to be off substantially ... maybe I just drive the car harder than they did ;)

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Honestly the v6 turbo's are quick but not substantially quicker then the H.O. 4 cyl's, if your looking for great mileage with the ability to still have tons of fun and tunability then go with the 05.
If your looking for a car thats more mod happy and powerful then the viggen go with the 06.
Its a win-win situation

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You all have been helpful. I think the 05 might be the way to go. Living in Los Angels, I'm in a lot of bumper to bumper. So city fuel economy is important to me.
The Viggen I had I thought was pretty quick. Not "fast", but quick. If the 4 cylinder Aero's on the 04 and 05's feel the same, then I should be happy.
I do love the aluminum steering wheel and dual exhaust on the 06'. But I think you can buy the 06 rear under spoiler and a custom exhaust shop to rig that up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
With the V6 - you will definitely get better mileage if you drive a distance as the engines do much better once warmed up. I'm averaging 27.3 mpg in my V6 SS manual trans while the wife averages 16 mpg in her V6 automatic convertible. I do about 95% highway with a good amount of stop & go and she does all city with cold starts and 6-mile trips.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd go with

the 05 aero since I have an arc. I am getting 24.9 stop and go and close to 26 when city and open road.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Nobody mentioned that the V6 sounds awesome, and as childish and it seems, that was the clincher for me. Another selling point for me was that there was no 6-speed option on the '05, just the 5-speed. You should test drive them both to see which one is best for you.

My gas mileage use around 23mpg of combined driving (40 mph average). On highway trips I'm generally just over the 30mpg mark.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nobody mentioned that the V6 sounds awesome, and as childish and it seems, that was the clincher for me. Another selling point for me was that there was no 6-speed option on the '05, just the 5-speed. You should test drive them both to see which one is best for you.

My gas mileage use around 23mpg of combined driving (40 mph average). On highway trips I'm generally just over the 30mpg mark.
Yeah. I really should just drive them both. Sounds like to me that some of you guys are getting pretty good fuel economy with the V6. And I do love the sound of an engine. To figure out how much faster that V6 really is, I should drive them. How's your reliability been?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I owned an 06 Aero and I must say gas mileage was terrible. I drove 30 miles a day and averaged 16-18 mpg in the city which to me was terrible.. Quick car, but I wouldn't buy one again.

Now I have an 06 2.0T which im currently working on

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I owned an 06 Aero and I must say gas mileage was terrible. I drove 30 miles a day and averaged 16-18 mpg in the city which to me was terrible.. Quick car, but I wouldn't buy one again.

Now I have an 06 2.0T which im currently working on
How much slower is your 2.0T compared to the Aero??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts