SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys my head was completely on other things today and I kind of... Well I sort of... OK I cold reved the 9-5 :(. I would usally NEVER do this but I was in a rush and I was thinking of everything BUT driving! I hit 6,300 before changing to 2nd then 4,900 before 3rd, 3,500 before 4th then an OK 2,300 before 5th. Please someone make me feel better :(. I'm just scared I have ruined my motor. Especially as the 2.0 LPT's are best kept under 4,000RPM even when fully warm. I have done this a few times before but only from 1st to 2nd going up the street from my house then I kept the RPM's down after that. Well, bye guys.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
im confused- what happened? All you said was that you revved it really high?

do you have rod knock now or something? what exactly went wrong?

6300 is WAY WAY too far to rev a 9-5 anyway. dont rev past 6 grand unless youre tuned, and even then, you wont be revving much higher. 5500 should be the real redline of these cars.

but if your car runs exactly as it did, why would you have a problem? don't do it again, though.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing went wrong. I was just wondering how much I wore down (if at all) the piston by doing that. If the car was completely warm I wouldn't feel bothered at all by this. I usally rev to about 6,100 before changes when its warm anyway. It's just cos it was cold I was worrying.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nothing went wrong. I was just wondering how much I wore down (if at all) the piston by doing that. If the car was completely warm I wouldn't feel bothered at all by this. I usally rev to about 6,100 before changes when its warm anyway. It's just cos it was cold I was worrying.
hahaha ok got it. well no, i dont think that by doing that once that youd have caused any serious damage.

if youre constantly taking the car up to redline though i wouldn't expect the motor to last long. youre powerband is really from 3000-5000 in these cars and the motors aren't really REV happy. you should have ample acceleration within 3500rpms.

·
Registered
312 Posts
And the problem was?????

Doing that when the engine have not warmed up is not healthy for the engine, but doing it once...If the engine cant take that, there is somthing very wrong with that engine. And the engine have an rpm limiter to make shure u dont damage the engine on hight rpm. In my opinion there is no problem reving the engine when it is warm, as long as the rest of the engine is healthy, sparplugs, oil and filter .....

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I don't care high-reving the motor when its warmed up. Just when its cold I don't like it. I never said the engine couldn't take that. I just said I was wondering if anything could have got damaged. I am a mechanic but do not specify in Saabs and I know they have a few problems with their engines (sludge etc...) so I didn't know if it was more of a problem cold reving a Saab than a normal car. I know in a normal (by normal I mean a Ford or something) car cold reving it doesn't really matter as long as its got enough CLEAN oil and a good air cleaner it will be fine but as I said I don't know much about Saab engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts