SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a '01 93 Aero (3 door of course) on Sunday :cheesy: and I have about (upto) 2000 quid to spend on souping it up. What should I do with that and how much oomph will it get?
I don't want it sounding like an earthquake on wheels though. Unless it sounds like an Aston Martin.

cheers

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
ok, 2k is a good start, First thing is a 3" down pipe, you gotta have it. Then finish the exhasut with a straigh through cat back, you can do 2 resonators or just one, and it will sound very very good.

Next you want to upgrade to a high performance intercooler, Forge, MP, and ETS are the ones i would look at. From what I've heard the ETS currently the largest/ most efficient one for our vehicle and was in part desinged by one of the members on this site. I have the MP performance i/c though and im quite happy with it.

The big one: New ECU tune, this is where you're going to get the most power out of your car. With it you can add a higher pressure FPR that will also give you more real time power. I would strongly consider buying an open air intake or at least a high flow panel filter, and then remove all the air plumbing that goes into the fender as it is quite restrictive.

After that you should still have enough money for some slight suspension stuff, I would tell you that a beafed up rear ARB is the first and least expensive thing you sould get, and then perhaps a steering rack brace.

I've done all the above and then some (with the exception of the ECU tune) and I love the difference they have all made.

·
Registered
493 Posts
£2k in the UK...... Go to Abbott Racing.

1) 3" DP and full exhaust - £685
2) High flow intercooler - £435
3) ECU tune - £299 (with exhaust)
4) Viggen Rescue Kit - £518

Will be £2,275.98 inclusive of VAT, or if you want them to fit it all add another £250 to that.

I have numbers 1 and 3 and part of 4 on mine and my car is producing about 270bhp now I have a working cat, red injectors and a panel filter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
..... or you could not get the one on Saturday and buy mine for £6,500.00 ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind all that rubbish. Where did you get the colour coded door handles in your pikature?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes but does it have the big bumpers and cool spoiler and better seats (but horrible brown dashboard)?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The bumpers, door handles and shark fin areial have been colour coded. The wheels done black, rear badge removed and smoothed and suspension lowered!! (all about 2 weeks ago).

This does have the big bumpers and aero spoiler.... and is 1 year newer too

Check out the photos in the "post your pics" thread :D

EDIT:.... Too many doors?! thats just being picky!!!! :p

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking at some of those pictures now.
What nutter put those horrible black wheels on the black 93 convertible?????? It looks like an old banger! :evil: :eek: :nono;:x :cry:

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Little off-topic, but did you mash in the rear wheel-well, or did saab cut it down for you? (martin)

On Topic:
For me, and a T7, I'd do ECU, "Intake", Turb-back Exhaust (JT) and then tend to whatever suspension/tires needed dealings. (the IC is "good-enough)

Injectors/FPR are later. you'll run out of turbo before you run out of injector.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On topic - what's a blimmin T7?
off topic- black wheels look bloody awful. It just looks like someone has cheapo wheels and the plastic covers have fallen off. Put silver ones back on it!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would simply go for a Stage 3 tune (ECU, 3" DP and cat-back) from any known Saab tuner and if there's money left, upgrade the intercooler (at some tuners this is already the Stage 4). So be sure to check that the ECU is tuned to meet the hardware you are going to install.
Intake is a waste of money and you could put that money on the chassie instead which is pretty crappy as stock. New shocks and springs should be on the shopping list at some point if you want the car to handle :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
mrbelly said:
On topic - what's a blimmin T7?
off topic- black wheels look bloody awful. It just looks like someone has cheapo wheels and the plastic covers have fallen off. Put silver ones back on it!
T7= Trionic 7
It is the engine management system on the 9-3 Aero and it's a pretty damn complicated system especially regarding tuning it so be sure to do it right if you're going to tune it.

On the first 9-3:s and all gm900 (turbo) use the old Trionic 5 which in many ways is more tuner-friendly.

·
Registered
774 Posts
mrbelly said:
Don't care about handling I just want it to go like the clappers
Okay :D
Well with the Stage 3/4 you'll get very nice performance.
Beyond those stages more power will be much more expensive, ie. turbo, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, possibly headers, intake and so forth depending on the turbo and other things : )

·
Registered
774 Posts
mrbelly said:
I want it to do 0-60 in 6 seconds
Well to start with you should forget a front wheel drive Saab if your goal is to be seriously quick from 0-60.
As stock the Aero should do it in 7,3 seconds and with a Stage 3/4 tune, proper tires AND CHASSIE and a capable driver 6 seconds should not be a problem.
But the way car moves from say 40-60 and up in third gear is really something.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts