SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
So these past three months I've been living in Virginia working 50+ hour weeks as an Olive Garden server while being a full time student at Christoper Newport University in Newport News, VA. I apologize for posting only when i have a problem...but I havent had much time to be an active forum member lately.

Heres the deal.

Car has 128,xxx miles right now. I was on my way back from a family visit in NY when i started hearing a low grumble at idle. Its happening independently from the engine RPMs so it doesnt sound like anything in the block. Its just a low grumble at low rpms and is very prominent in 1st and 2nd gear under light load. Im also hearing some tapping coming from the engine bay...but im going to write that off as needing to run something other than 0w-40 in the colder weather. The car is running fine and boosting fine...so im worried im sitting on a ticking timebomb somewhere in my accessory belt line?

Heres some other info:

Im 900 miles over 3k on this mobil 1 0W-40
The noise almost goes away once at cruising speed.
Sometimes a low pitched squeal can be heard, but that comes and goes.

Any ideas?
Thanks everybody

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Low RPM grumble, and a higher-rpm "wuuuuu wuuub wuuub"
Sounds like wheel bearings.

if it actually sounds like crunching while accelerating, it would be CVs. mine have been bad for a while now. I've got to rebuild 'em.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The "grumble" could be transmission noise.

The tapping could be chain/sprocket wear and tear.

The squeal could be the serpentine belt and pulleys.

Increase the radio volume.:cheesy:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds just like a wheel bearing is going....only its making the noise while im still. Argh...ill start with heavier oil starting monday and see where that takes me. Im anticipating the tap getting quieter, but not much else... :roll:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It does it while still?
Completely still? or while turning the wheel? (ball-joints)
It goes away with RPM increase/engine-temp? (idler pulley)
my a/c clutch made a bunch of racket before it went.
does putting in the clutch change anything?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would be real careful with that. It sounds like a pulley to me. It could also be your waterpump. Get under the hood and listen with a wooden handle or piece of garden hose.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't change with clutch engagement.
Loudest when coldest
Gets quieter with engine rpms, almost inaudible at speed in 5th.

It makes the noise MOST prominently while entirely still at idle. It really does sound like a bearing went on a pulley or something of that sort. Ugh...

Ill follow up with the garden hose stethoscope and see whats going on when i change my oil on monday.

PS - Water pump is located where on these engines?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The Waterpump is on the right side of this picture. There are 2 pulleys in the upper right side. It is the lower of the 2. The top one is the PS pump. (This picture is for a non-A/C engine so doesn't show the A/C pump. It would be under the waterpump on the right.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
i contacted the parts shop and asked if my car ever came without A/C and they said no, it there another model year without a/c that i could use the belt. i want to bypass my a/c so the noise stops. sorry to hijack the thread

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
With the tensioner locked "up", measure the path with a piece of wire or yarn. Then measure it and get something between that length and 4mm more than that length. If you want to bypass the middle pulley too, measure w/o it as well.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
chaseon said:
i contacted the parts shop and asked if my car ever came without A/C and they said no, it there another model year without a/c that i could use the belt. i want to bypass my a/c so the noise stops. sorry to hijack the thread
You are assuming at this point that it is indeed the A/C. The most likely culprit is the waterpump. I would remove the serpentine belt and start the car. If it stops making the noise, its a pulley or pump.

·
Registered
595 Posts
belt number

The belt needed to bypass the A/C compressor is a NAPA 25-060716. I ran into the same problem earlier this summer:evil: ........I bit the bullet and bought a used conpressor on Ebay, A/C is worth it!;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
for my problem , im sure it's the a/c ,i can see the a/c clutch/pulley shimmy backand forth and up and down about half inche when the slapping acures. thats for he belt sizes and diagram guys. you've given me some options.... once again ,great site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'm in serious need of an a/c compressor- a/c's not an option in this climate- i've had to use it to defrost the windows on several occassions, but in present state the car cannot idle or deccelerate w/ac on w/out stalling... does anyone on the board know where to look for a restored one in upstate NY??

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The AC compressor clutch is P/N 46 34 903. This is probably the noise source. Run the AC and the sound will change.

On the idle ?
Throttle body - this must be clean and tight
Vacuum hoses - these cannot leak

1 - 18 of 18 Posts