SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1987 SAAB 900i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the middle of stopping a massive leak of washer fluid on my car, so I need to disconnect my headlight wipers to stop them from engaging.

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Cable

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Automotive tire Wood Finger Electrical wiring Thumb

I assume that I need to figure out a way to disconnect these wires?

·
Registered
1987 SAAB 900i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is that the connector won't disconnect easily after 35 years. I'm looking for a long-term solution.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Use suitable lubricant. I use PTFE (dry) it will not collect dust.

·
Registered
1997 900SE 5spd 2.0L turbo vert
494 Posts
...or snip em. Or see if there's a fuse that works only the wipers? 🤔 I'd say those are the only options.

·
Registered
1987 SAAB 900i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can only put so much force onto plastic until it breaks. I gave it a try with some pliers and it didn't work, it's more stubborn than the rusty bolts under the car. I don't want the headlight wipers to activate once I clean the windshield, the wonky motor makes them stick and behave all erratic. I know that I can always just remove the arms themselves, but that removes a lot of the charm, right?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Why would you remove the arms before just cutting the wires? I still don’t understand if you’re looking for a permanent or reversible solution.
Permanent = cut the wires.
Reversible = cut the wires & put weatherproof male/female connectors on them with some dielectric grease over the contact points
OEM Reversible = force the connectors & if they break put the existing wires into new connectors (3 wire connectors such as that are easy to find). Personally I trust myself to just add inline male/female connectors much more.

You could always try using silicone spray on the plastic or heating it but either way old plastic on the oem connector will probably break.

Reactions: jvanabra

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most of my connectors are the same, not worthy of saving. I remove (pull back) the backshell, disconnect the contact pins and clean. I reassemble the contact pins without the backshell and use shrink sleeving. Simple, clean and reversible. Below is the headlight.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Problem with those connectors is the contacts are bullet-style and get very difficult to remove with the connector housings staying in place. I believe they're a type of connector originating from Volvo. The gel sealing plugs turn to gunk and the housings once unclipped often just pull back leaving the individual contact pairs still connected.

If you don't need/want headlight washer/wiper functionality disconnecting method depends how much you value keeping them for future re-use or not. I've removed headlight wipers on all my Saab's. Nice idea, but ....

·
Registered
1987 SAAB 900i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking for a reversable solution, but I am willing to cut the wires at this point. There is just no way to disconnect it without breaking it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The backshell plastic part is separate from the male/female contact pins. Use some needle nose pliers and grab the pin at the crimp. Twist and pull. You can clean and reconnect the male/female pins using shrink sleeving and discard the useless gray plastic backshell.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm looking for a reversable solution, but I am willing to cut the wires at this point. There is just no way to disconnect it without breaking it.
Cut the wires at the connectors, then buy a new weatherproof connector. It’s a simple 3 wire connector so it doesn’t even need to be an OEM part. All of your problems solved in 10 -15 mins with the ability to be disconnected & reconnected in the future. If going this route you may as well try forcing the plastic apart cause if/when it breaks it doesn’t affect your plan.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Yes, I would make no effort to preserve those connectors. The reason they can come apart like dbmcd showed is because the weatherproofing has already turned to dust, leaving only the metal terminals. I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts