SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think my (only) key is locked in my trunk (the rest of the car is locked too)... i haven't been able to find the key ANYWHERE and the last time i had it was when i was unloading stuff from my trunk yesterday.

how should i go about this? if i order a new key through the VIN will the key be able to unlock the trunk? my local Saab place told me the key had to be programmed WITH THE OLD KEY in order to work with the car. does this mean without the key being programmed it won't unlock the car?

i know there are a few people on here who work at wigwam saab up in providence and i'm not sure if anyone works at the saab dealership on rte 1 but if anyone can help out i would love some advice so i can stop driving my friends beat up old explorer everywhere.

X

·
0 Posts
Ok, I recon you should be able to open the car with a new key from the vin .. It wont be programed to turn the alarm off but you can do that with the original key thats inside.

How did you manage to lock it without the key :confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got out of the car (with a couple friends) and i locked it as i was walking into the house, and then we remembered we had stuff to get out of the trunk, so i unlocked the trunk with the key.

when i leaned over to pick something up i put the keys down so i could use both hands and then someone shut the trunk before i could get to the car..

i didn't realize this until last night/today when i searched my entire house and cannot find my keys anywhere

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Cll out a locksmith who may be able to access one of the front doors, you can then pop the trunk via the door release. The other option would be to break a pane of glass, again to access the door release. Are you sure the key is in the trunk? I bet you'll invest in a spare key now though. :roll: :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
if it is going to be expensive would it not be worth thinking anout breaking a window then pressing the button on the inside to open the boot:roll:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turns out someone in my family had taken my keys for some reason.

i need to be 18 so i can move out. this is killing me.

X

·
0 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
turns out someone in my family had taken my keys for some reason.

i need to be 18 so i can move out. this is killing me.

Ha Ha, Guess you better get a spare key cut now ;)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Guys, i was told its not simlpy for cutting a key, the key can only be bought from SAAB and the chip inside the key must be programmed by SAAB. I paid $ 70 for a spare key.

Also, if you loose your only key, SAAB have to replace the entire security/alarm system which goes for around $ 1500!!

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
sjfc 1884 said:
if it is going to be expensive would it not be worth thinking anout breaking a window then pressing the button on the inside to open the boot:roll:
If you decide to break a window, DON'T BREAK THE LITTLE WINDOW ON THE REAR DOORS. Those are uber expensive to replace. In fact, you might want to get replacement windows priced before you do that.

X

·
0 Posts
Guys, a spare key is gonna be less expensive than having a window replaced in a car!!!!:roll:

·
Registered
334 Posts
With how new this car is I'm sure they can cut you a key from the VIN, esspecially with our type of key. I know that my uncles Audi has a laser cut key that would be a pain to have recut through conventional methods. I also know that nissan keeps all keys on file fron the last few years or even a decade. Honda has only ~1000 varients of keys or so from like '92-'00, or so I've been told.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts