SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quite easily!

Remove stereo unit (Gives access to underneath the SID), remove SID.

I think, if memory serves, a couple of bulbs are easily accessible and a small screwdriver and a quarter turn left will release.

If not, then place SID u.s.d on flat surface, you will see a central small black panel. Remove the panel, and the two star drive screws holding the computer to the front panel. The whole lot should slide out of front panel.

Easy access to bulbs now. Reassemble is reverse of disassemble.

Be careful not to flex the ribbon cable to the display too much, or you maybe posting again with regard to the missing pixel problem.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
trolloride said:
Today one of the lamps in my Sid display didn't work anymore.
How can I fix it?
I will have to do all this myself soon(after it cools down;oops: ) so here goes:
Use your DIN radio removal tool to gain access to the SID
Extract the offending bulb, carry it down to the local-friendly RadioShack(or a facsimile) and request a new bulb..
Or you can go to the dealer with $$$$ in hand ( $$ for the part)
There is a good bulb source in England, despite the expense of shipping, the price may be less....

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
trolloride, as PMI stated, welcome to Saab Central. I just recently had to change the bulbs in my SID. Wasn't too bad, hardest part was removing the SID from the car, but that ended up not being too bad (went the route of pulling stereo and then pulling SID). In my case, once the SID was out it was just a matter of turning the old bulbs 1/4 turn and they came right out.

I tried a Radio Shack (electronic parts chain stores in the US) for a bulb that would work and they carry nothing like it. At first their was hope, but once the clerk saw that the voltage to it was 14v (I think thats what the bulb housing said on it), all hope was lost. Forked out something like $8 USD for one bulb. In my case I had another bulb stop working within 24 hrs of the first one dying, so I replaced all three and put the one good SID bulb into another dead bulbs position.

Good luck with getting the bulb replaced!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Then does anyone have the bulb number ? This 14v is about the same as 12v, but may last a bit longer.

I'd like to try that English bulb site - they do seem to be serious about selling little items(bulbs) - more than I can say about the "Shack"..
Then there is always Google ( and a lot of time !)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is it like a whole block of pixels missing, or just a couple pixels? If not a whole block, theres also some SID fixes up in the faq here...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts