SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2005 9-3 Arc for almost a month and I am still loving it! Great handling, plenty of power, reasonable fuel mileage (if I can keep my foot out of it :D ), quiet ride and loaded with safety features.

I have owned plenty of American cars in my 25 years of driving, but never a foreign car. In the month of owning the Saab, I now realize what I have been missing all of these years. I also realize how the U.S. car manufacturers are not even close to reproducting the performance, smooth ride, quietness and safety of the European sports sedan. Prior to buying the Saab, I also test drove a Volvo S40, Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series. These sports sedans also are WAY above U.S. engineering. The U.S. car manufacturers should fear that more Americans like myself will abandon domestic cars for European cars.

The reason I went with the Saab is because I received the GM employee/family discount and received $3,500 in cash incentives. This reduced the sticker price of my Saab from $34,500 to about $27,000 before my trade-in. A great deal I could not refuse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to hear your input as I am considering the 9-3 as a personal vehicle.

With Volvo owned by Ford and Saab owned by GM, I too hope these brands are allowed to retain their unique Euro personality, purpose driven design and manufacturing execution. (By the way, some Volvos and many BMWs are fitted with GM automatic Transmissions produced at the GME Plant in Strausburg, France.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think that's a broad generalization that European cars are "better" engineered; American companies can produce cars of equal caliber; drive a caddy or a corvette sometime, and you'll know what I mean :cheesy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't know what american cars preceeded the recently bought SAAB but they're not all bad ....I've owned several SAABS over last 10 yrs ( now got a 9-3 ) - All excellent, as described above but since last year we've also owned a JEEP ( all American ! )
Even as a SAAB owner ( and therefore usually critical of other marques' build qualities ! ) I think the JEEP is great - so it's not all bad news for US Motors !!

·
Registered
470 Posts
It is amazing how people can have exact opposite opinions about the same car. I was just having a talk with my wife the other night where I said that the Saab has turned me off of European cars and I will only buy American like I had in the past. No BMW, no Mercedes, No Porsche, No Lamborghini. I like my Saab, but as far as performance I disagree, American cars are far better performers for much less money. My last car was a Mustang and my next car will probably be a Corvette. I will say that the Saab is much more comfortable and refined than the mustang, but the fact that I have to bring my car in to the shop all the time is a big turn off. I know all cars have problems and that is to be expected, but 1/2 of my problems were due to a software update that was needed for some computer controlled system. I prefer the less computer automated, less refined basic American muscle car. I guess it is all what you look for in a car. The luxury is nice, but I want the performance, and no turbo whine can take place of the rumble of a V8 exhaust.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Jerry03Arc said:
It is amazing how people can have exact opposite opinions about the same car. no turbo whine can take place of the rumble of a V8 exhaust.

Its like a tie- very personal choice in terms of taste. I loovvvee the whine of a turbo (sounds like high tech engineering and performance to me) and the rumble of a v8 says antiquated old school mechaniics to me!

Some guys are butt men and some are leg men, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I always felt that American trucks and 4x4's are great, but thier cars are suspect. As if they place more priority designing a great truck...and less emphisis on passanger cars.

I especially am curious about the Cadillac statement earlier in this thread. Everyone I know who has owned one has had several, several problems with them. Not rattles/gremlins...but tranny issues, fuel system issues, and other mechanical problems. I heard too much negative owner feedback to even think twice about spending upwards $60K plus on thier vehicles.

Obviously most Saab dealerships are Cadillac as well...whenever I visit, the service waiting room is over flowing with Cadillac owners. I am talking standing room only!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jerry03Arc said:
It is amazing how people can have exact opposite opinions about the same car. I was just having a talk with my wife the other night where I said that the Saab has turned me off of European cars and I will only buy American like I had in the past. No BMW, no Mercedes, No Porsche, No Lamborghini. I like my Saab, but as far as performance I disagree, American cars are far better performers for much less money. My last car was a Mustang and my next car will probably be a Corvette. I will say that the Saab is much more comfortable and refined than the mustang, but the fact that I have to bring my car in to the shop all the time is a big turn off. I know all cars have problems and that is to be expected, but 1/2 of my problems were due to a software update that was needed for some computer controlled system. I prefer the less computer automated, less refined basic American muscle car. I guess it is all what you look for in a car. The luxury is nice, but I want the performance, and no turbo whine can take place of the rumble of a V8 exhaust.

I love my Saab and I love how the turbo feels - and right now will buy another one after my lease is up (one more year) - but nothing, nothing compares to the rumble of a V8 with dual exhaust!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
Obviously most Saab dealerships are Cadillac as well...whenever I visit, the service waiting room is over flowing with Cadillac owners. I am talking standing room only!

Arizona = old people = Cadillac = busy Cadillac service department. :cheesy:

I worked at a Cadillac/Saab dealer. The old timers like to bring their car to the dealer for service. They seem not to mind paying the high hourly rate.

·
Registered
846 Posts
finklejag said:
Arizona = old people = Cadillac = busy Cadillac service department. :cheesy:

I worked at a Cadillac/Saab dealer. The old timers like to bring their car to the dealer for service. They seem not to mind paying the high hourly rate.

Old people in Versace and Louis Vuitton who dont mind paying the hourly rate! Of course, this was at a Scottsdale location. :roll:

Still dont understand the appeal of Cadillac after hearing so many stories of mechnical issues from owners. Image over substanance?

Speaking of Cadillac/Hummer/Saab dealers...what gives with people driving Hummers with low profile racing style tires? It looks OK, but IMO defeats the purpose of buying a $60k+ 4x4! If I ever bought a Hummer...it would be for off-road! Otherwise..why bother?

But..I am constantly suprised at how these dealers all seem to view Saab as an after thought. The salesmen dont seem to know what I consider basic info regarding Saab. All local advertisements focus soley on Cadillac and the new H3..Saab is almost never mentioned.

If GM wants to figure out why thier Saab sales numbers arent quite what they would like them to be...they should be looking squarely at the dealers and making sure they are marketing the cars! At least be educated on the cars!

OK...Rant done!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Saab Dealerships

In my opinion, the dealership experience can make or break the entire ownership experience. I am fortunate to have great stand-alone Saab dealer support here in Chicago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have owned my 1995 9-3 for 3 months and feel the same way. We used to purchase a lot of fords (trucks/cars) because a family member is an exective in detroit. I have quickly forgotten now that I have the Saab!

Talk aboyt fun to drive!

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
I now consider SAAB to be American. After all, if you see a Honda, you call it Japanese even though it may be built in the US.

SAAB is owned by GM and is now very influenced by it. When the new 9-3 comes out by the 09 model year, GM will take it away from Trollhattan and give it to Germany. So, to me, the ownership and degree of control determines what country the car is.

Therefore, American cars include
GM: SAAB, Cadillac, Opel, Holden, Vauxhall, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Hummer, etc.
Ford: (Volvo is not quite American as it hasn't badge engineered with Ford or Mazda yet)
Chrysler: still American but slipping away. Maybe in 10 years, I'll call it German.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Today's Saab is not yet fully Americanized by GM in design, Engineering and manufacturing execution. There is a lot of Saab in the current Saab cars built in Sweden. (Some Saturns have Honda Engines by the way.)

Your list did not indicate Jaguar as being wholly run by Ford for some time now, including Ford Transmissions (formerly GM units). Ford has Volvo, but the Volvos still have GM automatic Transmissions, like BMW.

Question: Do you know how the Germans pronounce "Daimler-Chrysler"?

Answer: "Daimler"... In Germany the "Chrysler" is silent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts