SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc. I recently just replaced the alternator. I charged up the battery and installed it and the car was up and running fine. A few days passed not driving it because of a snow storm and when I finally went to go start it, the key would not turn in the ignition. The steering wheel is also unlocked...so no clicking when the key is inserted. I found out I had a bad battery after testing it with a voltmeter after a full charge..it drained really quickly. I just got a new battery today thinking it would solve the problem, but my key still won't turn. I've tried taking the neg cable off for a while and trying again and no luck. I've kept the key in for 10 seconds..took it out...then put it back in and no luck. I tried the spare and that didn't work. And I've also turned the key 180 degrees multiple times. Nothing is working....what do I do?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the SID doesn't even come on because I can't turn the ignition. But nothing has spilt on the ISM. So you suggest removing and cleaning it? And if that doesn't work, then replace it? I'm just baffled how it happened so abruptly after working fine. I have had Steering Lock Malfunctions intermittently, but most of the time the car is fine. Once in a while when I pull the key out the steering wheel doesn't lock, so I put it back in and pull it out until it locks. I don't know if that has anything to do with it..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is the car receiving any power at all? Dome lights? etc...

The SID should still illuminate, even when the key is just inserted. Check all the fuses and also, there is a little square box that is attached to the negative battery terminal...it should have a very small yellow button. Press it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
did you by any chance move the drivers seat up at all? i had brought my car to a mechanic and the lady who was trying to move my car adjusted the seat because she was very short. at that point i had the same warning message and my wheel was locked up. i was freaking out. after trying to start the car for like 10 minutes i moved the seat back to the position it was and luckily the warning and locked wheel went away. so i am assuming that a cable under the seat was causing the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so i just tried moving the seat up and back and nothing...the message still displays. Also I think this may be unrelated but when I connected the battery this time the CD changer was switching around. This hasn't happened before. Also I pushed the yellow button on the pos terminal and then some sort of noise came on...sounded like a faint vacuum...sounded like it was coming from under the dash...not under the hood

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay so update on the ignition. I'm taking the center console out to remove the ISM. I noticed that there is a plug on the drivers side that comes out when you pop the red lever out. When I have it in..nothing is happening and the steering malfunction displays on the SID with the key in. When I unplug the connector the exterior lights come on....why is this? Im really confused. I assume this is the ISM plug because when it's unplugged and I put the key in nothing appears on the SID

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well this problem is the last one I am going to deal with in this car. I've put way too much time and money into it...I'm tryin to pay for school...not thousands of dollars into my car. I love it to death but cant anymore. I decided to start parting it out. Everything. Lots of new parts including the alternator, battery, ICM, SAI pump and check valve, and more. Interior and exterior in good shape...it is gray inside and out. Tires and wheels great too. If anyone wants something just reply in the thread and I'll send a quote and pic. Email: [email protected] Phone(Call or text): Eight Six Zero- Two Six Two- Four Six One Two

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well this problem is the last one I am going to deal with in this car. I've put way too much time and money into it...I'm tryin to pay for school...not thousands of dollars into my car. I love it to death but cant anymore. I decided to start parting it out. Everything. Lots of new parts including the alternator, battery, ICM, SAI pump and check valve, and more. Interior and exterior in good shape...it is gray inside and out. Tires and wheels great too. If anyone wants something just reply in the thread and I'll send a quote and pic. Email: [email protected] Phone(Call or text): Eight Six Zero- Two Six Two- Four Six One Two
There are tons of guys w tech II's out east. Try to find one before parting.

Parting sh$t sucks. If you think your car is a pain in the ***** wait until you start parting it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.