SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 900 NA 1992, started acting up. first it couldn't hold idle, although the engine fired really well. this turned out to be bad contact on the electrical connection clips of the idle. a little bit of scraping and brake cleaner did the trick.

then a few days later, the idle started hunting around, 2000rpm and so on, when engine was cold, improving when engine warmed up, stabilized.

this morning the engine had trouble catching, although it finally did, but was 'wheezy', not strong, and didn't stay running. after a few more tries, it finally stopped trying and now doesnt catch at all

what might be the problem/gives?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Start with the simple stuff first.Take a good look at all of your vacuum lines and take a look at the AIC valve, it could be sticky, thay are easy to clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i unclipped the connectors and did a bit more cleaning of the contacts. the engine starts now. and holds idle quite stable. however when i rev the engine, the revving is a bit rough/little coughs.

by the way, is it usual that the AIC keeps humming(some kind of motor ?) for 10-20 seconds after the ignition is switched off?

can i drive the car tomorrow or is this something that can leave me stranded on the way to work ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi again

it's a low volume whine or whirr, maybe it's just the fuel pressure dissipating. but it's the AIC.

the problem is now intermittent, 'almost stalling', and brief occasional high idle.

i think the vacuum tubes are fine. there was poor contact/corrosion on the micro-switches related to the idle. now i'd like to try to clean the AIC

anything special to be careful off, or do i just disconnect and dismantle ?

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts