SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if anyone has used this procedure to modify the ignition switch lock cylinder to accept any Saab key:

"www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuLs0z3k6ng"

I just noticed that Anders (Swedecar) from saabnet.com posted the video, so I have a little more confidence on the video. But, it could have used a few words on explaining how to remove the 10 brass locks so that any Saab key would work in the cylinder without locking it out.

My lock cylinder works fine with one of my two keys, but not the other key. Both keys work fine in the door and hatch locks.

I was going to order a new lock cylinder with additional matching key (7497399) but they seem to be back ordered. Then, I was going to order a new key from my VIN, but am in doubt if that would work with the old cylinder.

Also, the bottom end of the lock cylinder seems to have a blade like a regular screw driver blade that fits into the electrical part of the switch assembly. Is it possible to start the car that way until I can get a replacement cylinder? I doubt that anyone would want to steal a Saab with close to 1/4-M miles on it these days.

TIA,

Ron

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I avoid YouTube, but assuming that the two keys have at least some points in common, you just leave the little wafers for those points, and throw the rest away.

If you remove enough wafers (like all of them), then any Saab key (of the same type--side cut or channel cut--of course) will work. :cheesy:

A screwdriver might work. I am not sure if you also have to exert downward pressure to keep the switch on. The cylinder does that when you turn it out of LOCK.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It sounds like one of your keys is a bit worn out...

Pull the lock cylinder and put the good key in it...all of the wafers will be pulled in and will be flush with the outside of the cylinder. Now, put the worn key in...I'm betting that one or two (or more) of the wafers will still be proud of the cylinder (preventing it from turning)...

Use a file to make them flush with the worn key...and both keys should work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts