SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having some issues with my 92 Saab 900. my key snapped off in the ignition and after i got it out, had a copy made. the key works in the door but the ignition doesnt move. the tumblers dont seem to engage and the key wont turn. i've taken the center console apart to see if i can pop out the actual switch, but it looks like a solid piece. i was wondering if there is anything i can do short of sending it to a shop. any ideas? i need the help. thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
The tumblers are different for the locks and trunk than the ignition. Being that there are more tumblers being used in the ignition then in the locks. your key is either made wrongly or your tumblers are messed up. Try gently wiggling your key up and down when turning it on to see if that helps. Chances are though the key does not have the right bumps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you visit a dealer (or location that was a dealer) and provide your VIN, they will give you the cut code for the keys. With this a locksmith can compare it to the original, even if broken, and tell you if it matches. If it does, a new key can be cut from the code. From what I was told by the local dealer in Ontario, Canada, there was one key for ignition, trunk and doors. I had to find out the hard way because at some time some locks on my 900 were changed. Ignition and doors are on one key, trunk is on another. Not a bad situation as I've got a very effective valet lock out when the trunk lock is set to manual unlock!

Make sure you keep the ignition switch well lubricated, and also the reverse lockout system, as contamination gets into the cylinder very easily because of its location on the floor.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If it's a manual make sure it's fully in reverse - I've hit the shifter in mine with my knee, moving it a bit and had the key not want to turn - pulled it back into the reverse position and the key turned just fine. Same thing happens on cars with "conventional" key positions - where you have to jiggle the steering wheel back and forth a bit for the key to turn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts