SaabCentral Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ism...

I did replace the ISM just as insurance policy, but it didn't solve the problem with the key not turning in the ignition. So after making many calls, I was referred to a place called ClearCom Technologies in Kanosh, Utah (435) 759-2495. For $160, they repaired my fob and replaced the shell. Problem solved. I highly recommend them as they were my saving grace. Good luck!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
07 9-3

so i keep getting "steering lock failure" pleas make a safe stop. My mechanic quotes me $490.00 total listed the error as "Code B1440 steering lock fault due to internal fault with ignition switch"

I've been reading about possible solutions,like on this forum and wondering if a saab guru can tell me which part i need to buy is it the CIM or ICM.I want to try and fix this myself, seems like a easy fix.

thanks,

JB

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
B1440 is ISM code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so i keep getting "steering lock failure" pleas make a safe stop. My mechanic quotes me $490.00 total listed the error as "Code B1440 steering lock fault due to internal fault with ignition switch"

I've been reading about possible solutions,like on this forum and wondering if a saab guru can tell me which part i need to buy is it the CIM or ICM.I want to try and fix this myself, seems like a easy fix.

thanks,

JB
I bought the part... But then simply cleaned the connections on the inside of the old part and it fixed the problem. If you have a little patience and are willing to keep some of your interior undone for a bit (in the event you do have to order the part), you may try that first. Otherwise, I still have the brand new part I ordered and would sell if interested! Still in the box!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys! Thanks for all the great information. I was at the Saab Shop today to get my Key reprogrammed due to the Fob stopped unlocking and locking. Turns out the said the ISM thinks the key is still in. They quoted me for a new ISM. I decided to do the research.

I cleaned the ISM following the steps, making sure to pull the negative off the battery. The Key fob works! unlocks, locks, trunk works!

But, the car won't start and doesn't recognize the key. So bummed!

Are there any other steps I'm missing? Suggestions?

Thanks!

FYI this is for my Saab 9-3 2003

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
Open it back up and bend the contacts back down. After that might as well get a new one. Not uncommon for it to stop working after being apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll give it a try. I hope it works. Thanks!
Cleaned out the ISM twice. Even tried scratching up the surface of the contacts with a file, still no luck. I ended up with another issue, with the Steering Wheel Malfunction.

Purchased a new ISM from NAPA Auto Parts, about $115. Everything works great. No issues and my key fob finally locks and unlocks. Thanks for this thread.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
can someone tell me how to get the harness to release from the ignition switch

There is a release lever that clips at the short dimension end of connector and lifts than rotates around to release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I killed my ISM too!!

Well here we are, another victim of ism failure all because I wanted to make it illuminated!!! i took it out of the car, with battery still connected AND with the key still in the ignition AND in the on position.. LOL the absolute worst way to do it!!

So took it apart tried everything, cleaning, bending, emery paper, nada, ism is dead, ordered one from an 03 model on ebay, as it is illuminated.

So I'm wondering would this need a new CIM too? or SCL?

I Am already in the dog house, the wife is not impressed with my led obsession, which by the way, after much reading, is the worst thing a saab owner can have, i don't want to eat dog food next, so i'm hoping new ism will save my poverty stricken *** ☺

Still love saab 93's, on my second, an 06 vector 1.9. only have it 30 days lol

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
ISM is plug and play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it worth it?

My '08, 9-3 2.0T has had this "Steering Lock Malfunction" for years. Usually I just throw it into neutral when I start it before the warning can go into effect.

It looks like a lot of people have problems with their key not working after cleaning the Ignition Switch (ISM?). Is this common? I don't want to pull this apart and clean only to be stuck in my driveway.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
My '08, 9-3 2.0T has had this "Steering Lock Malfunction" for years. Usually I just throw it into neutral when I start it before the warning can go into effect.

It looks like a lot of people have problems with their key not working after cleaning the Ignition Switch (ISM?). Is this common? I don't want to pull this apart and clean only to be stuck in my driveway.

Thanks!
Pretty common. I'd just buy a used one and put it in rather than clean it.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts