SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
The pictures are still there, have not taken them down from photobucket nor moved them.

Will be three years in the fall since I did this and have not had a re-occurrence;ol;

It's no longer my daily driver as I passed it down to my 17 year old now that she has a license & a JOB :lol: Replaced it with a 2014 Chevy SS :cheesy:

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just tried this - got the terminals cleaned, etc - got it all hooked back up - but before I put it all back together I thought I would try it. NOW the car is saying KEY NOT RECOGNIZED or something like that... key won't start the car either... Thoughts???

Just got done taking out the ISM cleaning & putting everything back together. And the best part is the car starts ;ol;. Won't know for a while if this will eliminate the steering column malfunction errors. It's a lot easier to do than it sounds. I followed these instructions;

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204339

and took apart much more than necessary IMHO. So here's a few pictures for anyone else who undertakes this job. Hopefully it'll make things easier for you

Here's the console with the front sides removed

Drivers side

Passenger side

Separate this electrical connection & move both halves out of the way

Here is the switch installed, there are two stainless tabs on each side to release,

Remove the harness from the switch & remove. It takes a little bit of work to separate the switch but the white plastic is pretty flexible. I ended up using a couple of small screwdrivers & a thin cake spreader that I use for body work to separate the halves. Here's what the inside looks like:

Clean the three sets of contacts & I gently bent them upwards to make sure they made good contact. Found no evidence of anything having been spilled inside the switch.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed

Jim

·
Super Moderator
8,340 Posts
Welcome to SC..

.NOW the car is saying KEY NOT RECOGNIZED or something like that... key won't start the car either... Thoughts???
This can happen,try cleaning it again and check everything..if all checks out the only route is another ism..You're not the 1st to have cleaned the ism then had the key not recognised message come up on the sid

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just cleaned my ISM and got the dreaded Key Not Recognized message on the SID. Anybody know the best place to purchase another one from?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Just cleaned my ISM and got the dreaded Key Not Recognized message on the SID. Anybody know the best place to purchase another one from?
Have you tried a battery reset. Just asking....

Going price for a new one is about $115-$130 shipped at usual site vendors.

Used on eBay as Diggs already posted

car-part.com

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you tried a battery reset. Just asking....

Going price for a new one is about $115-$130 shipped at usual site vendors.

Used on eBay as Diggs already posted

car-part.com
Battery reset by pressing that yellow button on the positive connection? I charged my battery completely and the key still will not turn. I found an ISM for $75 from saabusaparts.com and also bought some touch up paint to make it to $100 and got free shipping.

·
Super Moderator
19,048 Posts
Battery reset by pressing that yellow button on the positive connection? I charged my battery completely and the key still will not turn. I found an ISM for $75 from saabusaparts.com and also bought some touch up paint to make it to $100 and got free shipping.
No, by pulling the negative for a few minutes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the life of me, I cannot seem to get the ISM out. I've popped all four of the metal tabs and have dropped the ISM slightly but can't seem to get it out. Also, I have no idea how to unhook the harness from the ISM. Someone please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
MY03,
Maybe not the same, but I removed ductwork from passenger side of console(remove screws anchoring dash brace , slide out). Pull red tab perpendicular to connector interface.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I was able to remove the ism by only removing the drivers side kick panel.
There is a purplish large electrical connector under the ISM towards the drivers side, disconnect this to give you more room to move. The metal tabs on the drivers side need to be pushed in to unhook it from its mounting location. After that, there is enough give to push it down on one side and it will just eventually flop out. The electrical connector for the ISM is then more easily visible. There is a latch that you have pry/pull back and it pops the connector off the ISM.

As for cleaning contacts, personally I think you guys are wasting your time. Take a look at the PCB itself, you will see heavy wear on it. The mere physical action of the metal contacts rubbing against the pcb portion eventually wears THRU the pcb part. No amount of cleaning will ever fix that, perhaps delay the problem for another month or 2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Replaced ISM and no more 'Steering Lock Malfunction'. Very thankful that I did not have to mess with the CIM.

***Anyone that stumbles into this thread with the same symptoms - start with the ISM. In my opinion, it made more sense to replace the switch rather than clean it. Was just over $100 @ the dealer, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, don't want to jinx myself but 4 years later & I've had no further problems ;ol; My youngest daughter now drives this car as I bought myself a Chevy SS almost two years ago :)

Jim

·
Super Moderator
19,048 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, don't want to jinx myself but 4 years later & I've had no further problems ;ol; My youngest daughter now drives this car as I bought myself a Chevy SS almost two years ago :)

Jim
How do you like the SS? pros/cons?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love the SS, great power, handles great, comfortable and has plenty of room for 5 adults. Uses a lot more gas than the Saab though LOL.

Only thing I don't like is the back seats don't fold down to create a larger carrying compartment.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
19,048 Posts
Very nice. Do I spy with my little eye a 70-something Vette too? ;ol;

·
Registered
24 Posts
:) Yes, 70 454 convertible, one of my weekend toys. Spent 11 years on a body off refurbish & modification project. In the other garage is a 68 390 GT Fastback Mustang :D Currently undergoing round 2 of a rebuild & modification ;ol;

Jim

·
Super Moderator
19,048 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
ISN Cause for odometer to stay on when key off?

Does anyone know if the ISM can be the cause for the odometer to stay on when key off? On my 2007 93 convertable the odometer and back lighting for the door lock switch stays on when th key is removed and over a few days the battery drains. Is this an ISM problem?
If the key remote is pressed to lock the doors they all turn off. Any suggestions?

41 - 60 of 99 Posts