SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The ignition lock in my Saab 99 from 1983 turns loose. I can't start the car to drive it home. I want to bypass the ignition switch to drive it home and fix the cylinder later.

At the bottom of the ignition cylinder (the thing you put the key in) is a gear that attaches to the ignition switch. When the key is turned I think the gear should turn with it, well it does not. I can turn the gear manually for two modes. In the second mode the dash lights are on.

Should the fuel pump prime in this mode? That is not the case right now.

How would I go about bypassing the switch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,

The ignition lock in my Saab 99 from 1983 turns loose. I can't start the car to drive it home. I want to bypass the ignition switch to drive it home and fix the cylinder later.

At the bottom of the ignition cylinder (the thing you put the key in) is a gear that attaches to the ignition switch. When the key is turned I think the gear should turn with it, well it does not. I can turn the gear manually for two modes. In the second mode the dash lights are on.

Should the fuel pump prime in this mode? That is not the case right now.

How would I go about bypassing the switch?

Ok so today I made a set of connectors to start the car and it works quite well. I am not going to go in great detail as people can easily steal a car this way but the base line is to connect the pin that is attached to the battery + to one side of an on-off switch. Then connect all but the starter motor pin to the other side of the switch. Turning on the switch turns on the power in the car, the dash lights and all should be on. Then make a connection with the on-off switch to a push button and connect the starter pin to the other side of the push button. Now when the on-off switch is on the push button can be pressed to start the car.

Do check a wiring diagram as you can very easily get a short (I have noticed)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts