SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I recently purchased a Saab 99 from 1983. Sadly after I parked the car and wanted to start it again the ignition cylinder seems loose. When I put the key in and turn it, it turns way too easily. I can't engage the three modes? and therefore can't start the car.

My first question: Is there anyone that had something similar to this?
I have removed the top part of the center console but have not been able to remove the entire plastic piece. I think I need to remove at lease one seat for it to come out. Please tell me if you know of a better way of removing it. If it is not needed I don't want to remove the whole assembly where the ignition switch and lock are in if I don't have to.

The car is now stranded away from home. Therefore I want to bypass the ignition switch so I can drive it home and fix it there.
I made a second post on this forum for this. Please check it out if you can help ;ol;

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
If I recall correctly the barrel is removed by pushing in a pin in the side through the gearlever housing when the key is turned to a certain point.

As you have access to the wiring for the switch you will be able to start it without turning the key, you'll need a wiring diagram to work out what to connect together and then what to touch for the starter to run. I don't have the diagram handy unfortunately.

Sorry not much help :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall correctly the barrel is removed by pushing in a pin in the side through the gearlever housing when the key is turned to a certain point.

As you have access to the wiring for the switch you will be able to start it without turning the key, you'll need a wiring diagram to work out what to connect together and then what to touch for the starter to run. I don't have the diagram handy unfortunately.

Sorry not much help :(
Thank you, the tip for the key might work. I indeed made a set of connectors to hotwire the car and drove it home :). Now for fixing the lock

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Great :)

There used to be a repair kit for the cogs etc. part - it was different depending on if the car was manual or automatic. If that turns out to be the issue you might be able to find a kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts