SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the car in park the ignition key won't go to LOCK position and be removable.

Tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds in case of electronics. No Help.
Local independent - no help - "could be the barrel, mate. we could look at it..."

How do I:
a) get the key out each time I need to.
b) look at possible causes/fixes.

(There was not much help in haynes).

Thanks
9-5 Auto 1999 SE Estate

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Have you tried moving the lever through each of the positions and removing the key? The barrel can get gummed up with crap and crud causing it to stick, you can just remove the ring around the outside of the barrel to access for a bit of light cleaning with wd-40.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kermit said:
Have you tried moving the lever through each of the positions and removing the key? The barrel can get gummed up with crap and crud causing it to stick, you can just remove the ring around the outside of the barrel to access for a bit of light cleaning with wd-40.
Tried all gear positions. I can feel the gear selector lock starting to engage so that half is probably working. Putting it in park only lets the key turn half way to lock. Spoke to my pet dealer and they reckon it might be the switch on the gear selector. Booked it with them tomorrow as I'm not well placed to dissassemble the centre console this week (!). The other candidate would be the lock barrel. I guess its going to cost..:cry:

Cannot seem to move the transponder bulge on my car. It moves a little but may depend on the lock being empty? not much joy there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
No WD-40!!!

I've had similar, if not identical problem. The issue is that there are lots of little brass pieces in the barrel that slide inside and allow free movement when key is inserted. However, they get fairly worn with time (key sliding up and down all the time makes them thinner) and don't hide all the way in. My barrel was doing this (MY2000) as well as not "jumping up" when the key is removed in lock position (the barrel stuck down and the chime kept going to remind about the key; also could not lock the doors when that happened). I sprayed WD-40 inside... and everything got worse and gummed up :/ Any kind of oil is sticky and will attract dirt and dust. That's why locks in these cars (and many others) run dry and are lubricated by graphite powder. What I ended up doing is remove the barrel, disassemble it completely (be careful, lots of little brass plates and springs that have to be assembled in exactly same combination for the key to work) clean it up (from a mix of WD-40+graphite powder+dirt), lubricate with fresh graphite and put it back in. Everything works smooth since.

Good luck

·
Registered
805 Posts
KWR said:
Tried all gear positions. I can feel the gear selector lock starting to engage so that half is probably working. Putting it in park only lets the key turn half way to lock. Spoke to my pet dealer and they reckon it might be the switch on the gear selector. Booked it with them tomorrow as I'm not well placed to dissassemble the centre console this week (!). The other candidate would be the lock barrel. I guess its going to cost..:cry:

Cannot seem to move the transponder bulge on my car. It moves a little but may depend on the lock being empty? not much joy there.

are you sure there isnt any small particle thats stopping the gear lever all the way down to P position?
I had same problem before. Turns out there was a tiny pencil cap was stuck inbetween.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thought. As far as I can see my gear selector travel is normal. As the key turns partway - rather than not at all, so I suspect its the barrel (or the key) suddenly worn too much. Oddly thought I've had no snagging before which I'd have expected. Garage still had hopes its the switch on the selector.

Its up with them now. If they do good cheaply (or the opposite) I'll post on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
key/Fab stuck no lock position Saab 9-3

my wife just had this problem, she could not move the key into the lock position and she could not restart the car, the car had power and the dash lit up as usual but the car would not start. I just removed the 5 amp ignition fuse and put it back in. This allowed the fab/key to switch into the lock position and also restart the car.
The fuse is located in the inside of the car drivers side on the end of the dashboard just remove the plastic cover and remove and reinstall the #2 5amp fuse.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
you've earn better answers in correct forum here it is a 9-5 :)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
You must press brake and move shifter to P position or to reverse (manual gearbox) before key can pull out.
Re-start can be done if you turn key to off before attempt to start again.
Car will only start if shifter is in P or N.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts