SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening experts,
2006 9-3 Saab aero sedan..:
Car won't start. Key fob stuck in OFF position; won't come out. Won't turn to LOCK.
SID: Steering Lock Malfunction
BUT steering wheel is not locked! Thought battery was dead so installed new one this hour. Plenty of juice but fob still stuck. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good evening experts,
2006 9-3 Saab aero sedan..:
Car won't start. Key fob stuck in OFF position; won't come out. Won't turn to LOCK.
SID: Steering Lock Malfunction
BUT steering wheel is not locked! Thought battery was dead so installed new one this hour. Plenty of juice but fob still stuck. Your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Try turning wheel hard to left while pulling key out or try starting it while pulling left..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just saw your reply...thank you!
Unfortunately, my brand new battery has drained overnight - maybe because the ignition is stuck? As soon as I deal with that I will try your remedy & let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem... Mine is a 93 2.8L 2006. It wont go past the off position but a message with "Steering wheel locked Remove key, Turn wheel again And try again" or something like that.
My solution was to either to replace some module under the steering wheel which requires reprogramming or replace the ignition switch with one that the locking solenoid has been remove so the key/fob can be turn to the on position and start the car directly by jumping the starter relay with a wire going inside the car (which I am currently using). Sounds complicated but is very easy to do.
I can send you the youtube videos on how to do it.
Let me know

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I helped another forum member with a very similar situation a few week ago. Battery was replaced after original became to weak to start car one day. Using my Mongoose Pro GM II (virtual Tech 2) and some experimenting we were able to get it going. One thing that definitely seemed to help was clearing all the codes. I had tried several other things including replacing the ISM, getting the car started by unlocking the ISM's locking pawl and jumping the starter relay socket (relay #8) on a 2.0 along with a jump to get it started. Replacement battery had gotten weak so getting it to start by bypassing relay and manually unlocking ISM to get it to run position was a help to let alternator charge battery for awhile.
Clearing the codes was the thing that seemed to clear up the issue in the end. The codes seemed to interfere with the process of letting the key turn and car starting normally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the battery two days ago. It died overnight. Disconnected new battery and put it on an overnight charge. Reconnected battery.
Signs of life in car! Pulled out key fob!
Waited 5 minutes then reinserted key fob to start the car. Nothing. At that moment the battery died again, all sounds and lights stopped. Key fob stuck again ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had the car 10 years & had it serviced regularly. The past few years the problems seem to have shifted to mostly electronic. Lots of random codes. One guy said I needed a new transmission when it was really a fault code. Just before everything died the SID flashed 'Steering Lock Malfunction'.
So now I have disconnected the battery again & will recharge again.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
You need TECH2 to remove stuck key and check what is problem.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Remove ISM and clean and lubricate it gently.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Dear all, the fob is removed and the car is running like a top!
I just kept playing around with it. Thank you all!
When you park the car make sure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel dead center. This has worked for me for many years, after getting the dreaded steering lock message. Also, replace your ISM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts