SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the first freeze of the season the key wouldn't turn in my 90 SPG . Hair dryer on it for 5 minutes...starts easy no problem next few days.
Yesterday key turns way too easy...cylinder has come loose and now comes out attached to the key, which can be removed. Car still runs good so:
1. Can the existing cylinder be reinserted and function?
2. If not, can an average Saab owner purchase and fit a new one?
3. Does it require a new key with the new cylinder?
$. Anything else I need to know prior to taking it to the stealership?
CBolling

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm concerned that a hairdrier un stuck it. If that is the case, it sounds like moisture got into the barrel. Now that the cyl comes out my guess is the casting that the barrel goes into has cracked and will no longer hold a cyl, new, used, or the one you have in your hand. SO I would look to why the old one will come out before spending money on a new one.

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Clean the cylinder with lots of hot water and soap, dry as best you can, then flood it with WD-40 to remove all moisture. Pay particular attention to the locking pin on the side. It may then work OK.
Use the same procedure to clean the ignition lock housing. Refit, then see what happens. You could get lucky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.