SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 9-3 Aero with approx 59k miles on it. It initially started with a "hiccup" every once in a while. Over time, the feeling has changed, and it feels closer to a misfiring. I have not gotten a CEL to date, so I can't be sure.

So my question is...is there a way to test the coils myself to see if they're going bad? I know on the Aero, the 3 rear coils/plugs are a pain the ***** to get to. I like to fix stuff myself if I can, but that job just looks annoying. Should I just let an indy diagnose it? Because there's no CEL, I'm assuming most places would charge me an hour labor just to pinpoint the problem, which blows.

My other question has to do with the coils themselves. If it turns out to be the coils, should I only get OEM coils? My local Saab dealer wants $190 PER COIL!!! :eek: That's without labor! A quick search shows OEM coils are maybe $100/each online, while aftermarket are less than half that price. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
When do you get your "hiccup" or miss? The V6 is know for some random missing especially during a warm restart.

And the Bosch ME 9 is the most insensitive ECU out there especially compared to the T8 in the 2.0

If you have access to a Tech II you can live monitor the misfires. I guess tuning software like HPTuners has the capability as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rockauto.com

coils are like 40ish and some change each

google rockauto coupon codes to get them for cheaper.

Its best you just replace all to avoid headache.

Yeah, Rockauto is good. I just wanted to make sure nobody has had issues using aftermarket coils. I recently replaced my wife's coils (she doesn't have a Saab) with aftermarket, and they lasted about 5 miles before the car stopped running. Don't want that happening again.

After searching more I found out saabpartsonline might carry OEM coils for $68, so I'm thinking about spending a little extra and going with those. I have an inquiry out to them just to double check they are OEM (the part # matches).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When do you get your "hiccup" or miss? The V6 is know for some random missing especially during a warm restart.

And the Bosch ME 9 is the most insensitive ECU out there especially compared to the T8 in the 2.0

If you have access to a Tech II you can live monitor the misfires. I guess tuning software like HPTuners has the capability as well.
It initially started out as a hiccup under low RPM's (<2k), hard acceleration, and after the car had warmed up. It has since changed the way it feels. It's now more frequent, and it's not a split-second hiccup up anymore. It's more of a hesitation that can last a few seconds. The factors that have stayed the same are that my car needs to be warm, and it has to be a hard acceleration. The factors that have changed are the RPM range (it now hesitates up to approx 4k). My idle also feels like it has very small misfires every so often, but that could be b/c I'm over analyzing it. I've laid on the gas throughout the hesitations, trying to trigger a CEL, but no luck.

What are symptoms for a bad ECU?

As for having access to a Tech II...that's a negative. For HPTune, where would I get that? Is it expensive, or simply a cable and software?

·
Registered
643 Posts
yes this happens when it gets hotter out, i've learned to live with it but I'm guessing my symptoms are not as severe as most.

I'll probably change at least the front 3 this summer.

I hope the rock auto coils are good quality.

changing the back is a pain because you have to take off that hosing.

I'm going to see if a friend can do that for me. i;m just a bit hesitant for me to remove the cpu from the back of the engine.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It initially started out as a hiccup under low RPM's (<2k), hard acceleration, and after the car had warmed up. It has since changed the way it feels. It's now more frequent, and it's not a split-second hiccup up anymore. It's more of a hesitation that can last a few seconds. The factors that have stayed the same are that my car needs to be warm, and it has to be a hard acceleration. The factors that have changed are the RPM range (it now hesitates up to approx 4k). My idle also feels like it has very small misfires every so often, but that could be b/c I'm over analyzing it. I've laid on the gas throughout the hesitations, trying to trigger a CEL, but no luck.

What are symptoms for a bad ECU?

As for having access to a Tech II...that's a negative. For HPTune, where would I get that? Is it expensive, or simply a cable and software?
Well those aren't the typical bad idle/miss issue. Sounds like more of coilpack.
HPTuners is the software used for the "tuners" like Vtuner. Yes it is expensive and wouldn't make sense to get just for this.

And I didn't mean to imply the ECU go bad just that they are not that sensitive.

Either way you'll need a Tech II to properly diagnose along with a qualified tech.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Your description is exactly the same as my experience for two coils failing at different times. They sputter gets worse over time as the coil gets worse.
The Airtech wells coils seems to be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tech II misfire monitoring

Hello,

I have a Tech II but I cannot find the misfire counts in the Engine troubleshooter. I only have something like 40 items to monitor and the cylinder misfires are not among them. Any idea, somebody?

Car: 9-3 2008 Aero XWD

Many thanks for a hint!

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Hello,

I have a Tech II but I cannot find the misfire counts in the Engine troubleshooter. I only have something like 40 items to monitor and the cylinder misfires are not among them. Any idea, somebody?

Car: 9-3 2008 Aero XWD

Many thanks for a hint!
Try the Tech2 forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts