SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
My 9-5 2.3 auto ona 2000 (w) has been having problems with the ignition barrel. No problems getting the key in our out or starting the car etc, but when I take the key out the barrel sometimes needs a bit of persuasion to ping out so that I can lock the car and immobilise etc. If I give it a few bangs it has historically come up.Took it for a service today and told my Indie and he squarted a bit of lubrication down it. Now it will not come up at all so managed to lock the car with the key in the door.

Are ignition barrels iterchangeable with other years and what needs doing? If I get a barrel with keys will this work or do I need the Saab STealers to Tech 2 it to sort it out?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I really need to sort this quickly...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a similar problem on my Aero but i mainly just tap it to come up. You could pull the dash off and give it a clean...

You'll need to visit the stealership to marry new keys etc. Cheaper/easier to clean it first, probably just the barrel getting stuck with gunk over the years...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one. Ye thats my first port of call tomorrow but if that fails then I am 'negatively i suppose' getting ahead of the game just in case.

Have you priced this up in case it does fail....options?

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Clean it?

It is possible to turn the Plastic bit around the ignition and remove it.

From there there is a method to removing the barrel (But I have not gotten it to work). It involves turning the key ro the acc position than pushing a piece of wire (pretty thick, like a coat hanger) into a hole and then pulling out the barrel.

From most other threads I've seen on this issue, a shot of silicone lubricant or WD-40 usually frees up the works. Did the Trick for me.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
It is possible to turn the Plastic bit around the ignition and remove it.

From there there is a method to removing the barrel (But I have not gotten it to work). It involves turning the key ro the acc position than pushing a piece of wire (pretty thick, like a coat hanger) into a hole and then pulling out the barrel.
Mine got stuck this morning, and I have yet to be abler to start the car.

I have seen the instructions to remove and clean the barrel, but I can't figure out how this would work. If the barrel is stuck and won't turn, how can I turn it to the acc position in order to pull it out ?? :confused:

Al's Red Wagon said:
From most other threads I've seen on this issue, a shot of silicone lubricant or WD-40 usually frees up the works. Did the Trick for me.
Where do you send this shot of lubricant? Into the keyhole?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The ignition barrel only really serves as a mechanism to allow the key
to makes it way through to the ignition switch which is located directly
underneath the ignition barrel.

Lubricating and cleaning the barrel will help the key turn but the real
problem will be a failing return spring on the ignition switch(underneath)

http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95ignition.htm

The end of the key pushes down on the centre of the ignition switch which
is spring loaded.

The ignition switch has a series of contact closures which are positional and
this then dictates what the electrics are then allowed to do.

Symptoms of a failing ignition switch are failure of the key to return to the home
position after ignition start and also failure of the barrel to "popup" when the key is withdrawn.
This will also show up with weird electrical problems ie
no lights/no wipers/failure to alarm etc

I have had the pleasure of changing the ignition switch on my own car and it required removal
of the central housing and tilting the whole gear assembly to the side in order to gain access.:eek:
One of the harder jobs I have done -switch is easy to change once you can get at the thing.

Hope this helps -I have posted a couple of times on this problem so there are some more
details if you look through my post history.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Tried to spray it with some WD40 and heat it. The thing is STUCK. :(

I took off the cover by twisting carefully and pulling to look inside. Did some more soaking in WD40 and heating, but still no luck.

Seeing that the removal procedure involves twisting it to the ACC position, and mine won't budge, I don't know how to remove it :(

Guess I'm just going to have it towed to a service center and take it up the behind in service costs.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The end of the key is likley stuck in the top of the ignition switch.
Look at the picture of the ignition switch in the link above (part no 4943692)
they end of your key pushes into the centre.
If the switch fails then you will not be able to retract the key.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I wound up taking it to the dealer because I didn't want to deal with it, and didn't trust th eindie to do a good job on it.

They replaced the entire ignition unit.

Wound up costing me $360. Not as bad as it could have been I guess.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
hiros said:
Real bummer on the ignition switch Mattlach, was it stuck because of the cold weather?
Thats what I thought at first - as it was 18F (-8C) out - so I tried lubing and heating it with no effect. Turns out the ignition units are common failure points on our cars.

Funny that, because in all the 110k miles my 2001 saw it never failed :p

I just feels as if the quality of our cars is going down. I had many fewer problems with my 2001 in 4 years of ownership than I've had with my 2004 in 9 months...

I bet you don't have much in the way of cold related trouble in Brunei? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts