SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition barrel in my 90 SPG feels like its goin south, and I want to fix it before it strands me in BFE. I would also like to address the inop reverse lockout while I'm in there. I did a forum search with much info gathered about the switch itself, but not alot of info about replacing the barrel. Any tips or ideas on this would be appreciated, I do have a Bentley, but some first hand experience would be cool. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
The reverse lockout is in the shift lever, the adjustment is not usually related to the Ignition lock/switch.
I've replaced at least a hundred ignition lock cylinders.
If you're sure you only need a new cylinder, you can replace it in 5 minutes with a slide hammer and a screwdriver/probe or two. It takes some nerve, but not too much skill.
What exactly are the symptoms you're trying to cure? Have you tried a new key cut from the key code, not copied from a worn key?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The key feels loose and sloppy, and is able to be removed regardless of the position. Maybe reverse lockout was the wrong terminology, the barrel can be turned to any position regardless of the shifter position. Its not the stock key, and the PO cannot find the original anywhere. I dont mean to ask silly questions, but where would one find the key code for a replacement, the key I do have is quite wore out. I'm thinkin that may be most of my problem. The barrel being able to move whether in reverse or not isnt really an issue, but I'm not real familiar with SAABs, this being my first, and just dont want something to go fubar while away from home. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Someone may have removed the reverse locking lever, defeating that function.
It does sound like the lock itself is worn, but if it turns freely, it's unlikely to leave you stranded.
Try cleaning with alcohol (91% isopropyl), blowing out with compressed air (wear goggles), and lubricating with Lock-Eze.
The key code is a 4 digit number stamped on each lock in the car. If it's a 4 door, you can read the trunk lock if you contort a bit.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Shops like Scanwest also can provide a code based on the VIN, provided you believe that the cylinder has never been changed. Examining the trunk lock cylinder (hatch if 3dr) is usually the easiest. I use the Scanwest method since they will cut and mail the key to me at home, based on the VIN. They also have the steel blanks required for properly operating the ignition switch. If your key is twisted at the tab or has a brassy look anywhere on it, it is likely to break as it was never built to handle the torque required for a Saab switch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for the info. My key is indeed quite worn, dam near the whole thing is brassy, and it has a twist in it. That is my main concern, breaking it off in the barrel. I have an SPG, I will look under the hatch lock when it stops stormin here and get the number. Lookin through my receipts I recieved with the car, the trans was replaced in 09 with a rebuilt from a 91 SPG, thats probably when the reverse lockout was undone. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Someone may have removed the reverse locking lever, defeating that function.
Would that also mean that when you lock it with the reverse gear engaged the lever will still move out of reverse with the key removed?
Is there anywhere that fixes/ provides new barrels for existing keys?

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Would that also mean that when you lock it with the reverse gear engaged the lever will still move out of reverse with the key removed?
Yes. I removed the lockout on my cars. It's only there to meet a US DOT requirement for an anti-theft immobilizer when the key is removed. Most others did it with steering column locks.
Is there anywhere that fixes/ provides new barrels for existing keys?
I can code any new lock to any key. I bet your local locksmith can too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I got ahold of Scanwest and they shipped me a new genuine steel SAAB key with the VIN info, works like a charm. So thanks for saving me the trouble of replacing the barrel when it was the crappy reproduction key I had all along.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts