SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9000CSE (1995) 2.3L turbo 5 speed

Problem 1 When I turn off the car, it continues to run. Not diesel or any, just run. Some times it will go for 20 or 30 seconds.....anyone have this happen or have suggestions?

Problem 2 Hesitation under accelleration. I hear a hissing, just like when a semi vents air at a stop light. It hisses and simalaniously it hesitates. This continues ...hiss/shudder, hiss/shudder, hiss/shudder until I stop accelerating. Coult it be the waste gate dumping boost?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
1. Are you sure you are not hearing the radiator fan running instead of the engine running?
2. My suspicision is there is a vacuum hose loose somewhere. Go over all the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment for loose connections and cracks. Better yet, replace all vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I'm sure, the radio is still playing and the tach says 850 rpms.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I wonder if the previous owner installed some delay shut-off device for the engine. Although not needed for the present day turbo, some die-hard turbo owners still believe the turbo charger needs to be spooled down before turning off the engine.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yaofeng said:
I wonder if the previous owner installed some delay shut-off device for the engine. Although not needed for the present day turbo, some die-hard turbo owners still believe the turbo charger needs to be spooled down before turning off the engine.

Just a guess.
Could it have been a factory option? I would think that would be unsafe as you could take out the key with the car running. How would I ID such a device if it existed?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you cannot find it (provided there really is such a device installed), shift into first, pull the hand brake and then take the key out. That should stall the engine. Of course I am talking a 5 speed. If it is automatic, can't help you.

I don't think there is such option from the factory. Remember it is only my guess.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The wrong type of brake light bulb can cause problems like this, I believe, as can some headlight wiring faults.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
johncc said:
The wrong type of brake light bulb can cause problems like this, I believe, as can some headlight wiring faults.
Really?!? Do you have more specific info on that? Where did you hear about that?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strangley enough, I've just found out that the passenger (right) side high beam won't work. Its not the bulb. I wonder if its a wiring problem? That could be causing the engine to run on.

I hope the light is just a fuse. I'm sure the garage did not look at anything since they don't do any type of electrical at all.

Does anyone have a diagram of the 95 9000? I have the one for a 92 but I don't know if they are the same.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It comes up a few times! Sounds wierd, but there is a reason. If you put the wrong tail light bulb in (Halfords seem to hand it out regularly) then as long as the brake pedal is depressed you connect an always on circuit to the ignition circuit via the bulb, which keeps the engine running if you hold the pedal down with the headlights on.

Here is an example - wrong forum I know, but the first I could find: http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1518.html

According to that thread, this fault can limit you base boost and stop the cruise working too... maybe.

I think my memory about the headlights was confused with that, and that sometimes headlight problems can cause the engine to cut out I think.

Car electrical faults never cease to amaze me!

By the way, you hiss hiss could perhaps be the charcoal canister purge valve opening when it shouldn't? I believe it does open and close every few seconds, but it should only do it under very specific conditions, usually when idling, and certainly never when boosting.

You could try disconnecting the pipe to the canister from the inlet manifold and blocking off the leak in the manifold that you create and take it for a test drive.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed my headlight problem. It turned out to be the lamp control relay. I still have the brake/running car problem but will look at that later. I read that if you have a wrong bulb OR a problem with the housing it will cause this problem. I'm pretty sure of the bulbs but will check how they are seated, if there are any cracks etc.....

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update, I did find that when I remove the passenger side brake buld that the problem goes away. Now I've just got to find the correct bulb! If I go back to the same autoparts store, I'm sure I'll have the same problem....I think I'll go to Saab and get the correct bulb.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Use only Sylvania/Osram bulbs. The brass base ones the autoparts stores like to sell are made in China and the resistance/power drain is incorrect for SAAB's. I couldn't get my pictogram to shut off and my cabin temp sensor started chattering after installing one of those. Only when I put a Sylvania bulb in did things go back to normal.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both bulbs were Sylvania, but the parts store's reference called for a monofillamtent bulb and the one I got at Saab was a dual. When I put it in, it worked like a charm. I would guess that the dual fillament has a greater resistance and thus less current running through the system.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Glad you got it sorted! The mono-filament bulb will have a single contact on the base whereas the correct bulb has 2. The bulb you had would therefore short between the two contacts in the bulb-holder, and this is what causes the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts