SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case there are any of you who didn't ready my post about the loose seatbelt bolt:

The passenger's side front seatbelt bolt (i.e. the bolt that secures the lower end of the seatbelt to the seat rail) had come loose on my 2007 9-3SS. Who'n the hell would have thought that this, of all things, would have come loose? The screw had threadlock on it, from the manufacturer!

I hope you will all take the time to check your seatbelts--especially at the lower ends--to make sure there is no wobbling/looseness.

Oh, and for those of you that did read my previous post about this subject matter: I contacted the dealer and asked for torque specifications. The service advisor said they had none. They checked all the literature, and couldn't find it.

So, I took my torque wrench, and with Red Loctite, torqued it to 20 N-m. I'm comfortable in saying that it's secured.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cadcamjim said:
This is from the Saab WIS for a 2006 9-3. Hard to believe the dealer doesn't have one for an '07.
37 N-m (27 lb-ft)

Wrong bolt, my good man.

The one in your photo is the bolt that fastens the seatbelt "receiver" (i.e. the female part of the seatbelt clasp). That is right next to the center console.

The bolt to which I have been referring is the one that holds the lower end of the actual nylon weave seatbelt to the the seat rail....right next to the door. It's right next to the door, but on the floor.

I drew a picture of it (see below)....it's a very rough drawing. The bolt to which I'm referring is at position 2.

Do you have the torque specs for this?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Wow, Doc, those are some mighty fine MSPaint skills!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tomorrow I will check the two 07's we have and the one 08' and see if there is any issue with a loose bolt. Thanks for this post!

·
Registered
759 Posts
In my WIS2007 DVD it says the torque is 33 ft lbs / 45NM for what it calls "Front seat belt buckle", but there is no associated picture, so it's hard to say. I also see the section posted above with the bolt to the side of the seat, an there is says 27 ft lbs as posted above. Very confusing. I would say threadlocker and a reasonable torque will keep you safe here, belt bolts are usually fine thread, so err on the lighter side (27 ft lbs). Obviously don't go back and retorque b/c you will break your threadlocker and lose some of it's benefit....remove, clean and reapply if you are going to retorque it again.:p

I'll be checking my bolts this weekend....also maybe pulling out the rear seats to check the LATCH bolt that holds my 2 kids' carseats in.

·
Banned
631 Posts
if its a reoccuring issue with saabs they will actually have a messaged Recall on something so serious. Because if not they can be sued / fined heavily.
So im sure its just happenening to a few.

But hey doesnt hurt to check

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nickshu said:
In my WIS2007 DVD it says the torque is 33 ft lbs / 45NM for what it calls "Front seat belt buckle", but there is no associated picture, so it's hard to say. I also see the section posted above with the bolt to the side of the seat, an there is says 27 ft lbs as posted above. Very confusing. I would say threadlocker and a reasonable torque will keep you safe here, belt bolts are usually fine thread, so err on the lighter side (27 ft lbs). Obviously don't go back and retorque b/c you will break your threadlocker and lose some of it's benefit....remove, clean and reapply if you are going to retorque it again.:p

I'll be checking my bolts this weekend....also maybe pulling out the rear seats to check the LATCH bolt that holds my 2 kids' carseats in.
Well, I did remove the bolt and apply more Red Loctite to it, but I didn't clean off the Red Loctite I put there a couple days ago. I figured that the solvent in the new application would be enough to "wet" everything.

Of course, now that I have to go back and tighten the bolt further, I think I'll clean it up this time. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cadcamjim said:
How's this?
That's the one, CADCAM! Thank you.

Now I am going to go back to my delear and raise hell. This is a repair instruction that is RIGHT OUT OF THE F-ING MANUAL!!!!! And they don't even have that! Had I taken my car to them, some greased-up cracker would have taken a wrench to it and tightened it as far as his whim let him...which means he likely would have over- or under-torqued the bolt!

I want to see these a-holes nailed to the wall for this. They are inadequately equipped to repair SAABs, which to me indicates that they are inadequately equipped to sell them.

I am going to report this dealership to SAAB, first thing Monday.

Is there anyone else to whom I can report them?

Of all the things on a car they should know how to repair PER THE MANUFACTURERS SPECS, a seatbelt is the most important. And these morons couldn't even do that.

There must be some sort of authority (i.e. government agency) to whom this can be reported.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
DrSandman said:
That's the one, CADCAM! Thank you.

Now I am going to go back to my delear and raise hell. This is a repair instruction that is RIGHT OUT OF THE F-ING MANUAL!!!!! And they don't even have that! Had I taken my car to them, some greased-up cracker would have taken a wrench to it and tightened it as far as his whim let him...which means he likely would have over- or under-torqued the bolt!

I want to see these a-holes nailed to the wall for this. They are inadequately equipped to repair SAABs, which to me indicates that they are inadequately equipped to sell them.

I am going to report this dealership to SAAB, first thing Monday.

Is there anyone else to whom I can report them?

Of all the things on a car they should know how to repair PER THE MANUFACTURERS SPECS, a seatbelt is the most important. And these morons couldn't even do that.

There must be some sort of authority (i.e. government agency) to whom this can be reported.
Talk to Saab USA. The government isn't going to do much to an inept dealer too lazy to read the manual. Push Saab to audit the dealer and its service practices. Be diplomatic about it and make sure your complaints are verifiable and not petty or companies dismiss them.

I had tires rotated at a Goodyear dealer one time and left the shop. Went down the street and almost got into an accident because they only "spun" on the lug nuts.

My complaint was legit and Goodyear thanked me for submitting it, but couldn't do much more. Goodyear said that nothing happened and the problem was resolved. The service tech apologized and is actually the manager now.

Its really great that you caught the loose seat belt bolt and someone should be disciplined, but that is about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts