SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully this is ok to put here, I was personally in a situation needing Saab keys a couple years ago and dealer is outrageous. If anyone needs a key for 03-09 at least you can ship me CIM module and I can flash in a new key for $200 (negotiable), with me supplying the "gummy" remote head key. If you want emergency blade cut that's extra, locksmith out of baton rouge. Been getting into EEPROM a lot lately so figured I'd drop this here.

Tools I would use are VVDI prog and Tango if anyone is curious.

EDIT: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE EXISTING KEYS

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hopefully this is ok to put here, I was personally in a situation needing Saab keys a couple years ago and dealer is outrageous. If anyone needs a key for 03-09 at least you can ship me CIM module and I can flash in a new key for $200 (negotiable), with me supplying the "gummy" remote head key. If you want emergency blade cut that's extra, locksmith out of baton rouge. Been getting into EEPROM a lot lately so figured I'd drop this here.

Tools I would use are VVDI prog and Tango if anyone is curious.
What's the benefit of your method vs usual $60 for a blank key and a bit more (or zero) to pay someone nearby with Tech2+TIS?

Can you do MY11 (as it is not supported by subscription-free TIS)?
Can you program a key for a CIM with no working keys? (official tools can't do it)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you have a connection to someone with programming tools definitely no reason to go this route.

I'll have to look into 2011.

Yes, I can write keys directly into memory or pull existing key from memory (there should almost never be 0 keys in memory).

More targeted towards ppl with no keys that would have to tow car etc.

Another thing I can do is transfer data from broken cim or pretty much any computer over to new/used one so it will work without needing to be paired to vin or have new keys programmed, even if computer flooded can almost always pull data.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, I can write keys directly into memory or pull existing key from memory (there should almost never be 0 keys in memory).

More targeted towards ppl with no keys that would have to tow car etc.

Another thing I can do is transfer data from broken cim or pretty much any computer over to new/used one so it will work without needing to be paired to vin or have new keys programmed.
Wow, if it was up to me, that would be a sticky in a Tech2 forum. The service you provide is what one can't do even with official tools.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, if it was up to me, that would be a sticky in a Tech2 forum. The service you provide is what one can't do even with official tools.
That's fairly unexpected yet awesome to hear! ;ol;

I can do TWICE module as well if that is as much of a problem with no keys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can you do MY11 (as it is not supported by subscription-free TIS)?
I don't see why it wouldn't work on 2011, I doubt they made changes to actual data structure.

I made key to 2008 Volvo XC30 same way, but my software didn't even have this car in it, so I did 04+ V40/V50 and still flashed key out no problem (additionally with xc30 they were both 9s12 mcus but the x30 was secured and still worked), so if the CIM modules still look the same, ESPECIALLY if they still have the 93LC66A chip than I'd say 98% chance it would work. Hard for me to find much data on 2010+, do you know if key has changed, and if so then has the transponder changed or just remote frequency? (update: doesn't look like anythings changed, so even more likely it would work, so lets go with 99%.

At any rate, if you want to send it to me I won't charge you if I can't get it. Attaching pics of TWICE and CIM modules with chips marked.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just a small story and tale of caution, although in a pretty unique scenario.

Flashed a remote key into 08 CIM a couple of weeks ago, everything went fine, car started and remote worked.

Today customer calls and says he got out at a gas station, gets back in "Key not recognized, contact service". Although remote still works.

Luckily he had a spare pod key, which still started it. So he drives the car up here, turns out his $29 cheapo key had died in a matter of weeks, transponder no longer read at all.

So I clone immobilizer chip from pod key and insert it into tip of remote key (just had to grind down a couple pieces of plastic to get it to fit)

Starts his car, but remote stopped working after that.

So seems like the remotes are smarter than I realized, they must resync each time you start the car, and since the new chip wasn't connected to remote in anyway it caused the remote to desync.

The takeaway I guess is that if you ever have a chip fail in a remote key, if you want the remote to stay working don't put a new chip in unless you get the right type and resolder it (and rewrite the new chip into CIM)

I just reprogrammed him one of my OEM ones with tech 2 and all good now, but I would have never expected that behavior with the remote, pretty much every car I've messed with the remote could care less what happens to the transponder, even if its soldered to board, just uses it for initial pairing.

A side note/question: When I was programming keys after security access, I got a weird error message on tech 2 regarding CIM negative response, but after trying a second time it worked. Anyone have any idea what this is about or should I not worry about it? Please see pic for tech 2 screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts