SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, the 900 is registered, insured and ready to go. I've been driving it and have noticed recently that the idle isn't quite the same as it is when I took the car off the road. Cold its sputters a bit, which I usually had but when its warmed up, it'll idle around 1500-1700 RPM and will, only sometimes on occasion, go down to around 1100 RPM. I'm guessing that the engine is somewhat racing so this is causing my temperatures to rise higher than normal, above 3/4 the way. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
First thing I'd do is remove and clean out the throttle body--deposits can build up from oxidation due to non-use, and prevent the throttle plate from seating correctly.

Next, check that the throttle position switch (which is easy to get at with the TB off the car) is clicking when the throttle is closed; adjust if not.

Also, flush out the AIC valve with WD-40 to make sure it's not sticking open!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Matthew said:
Sounds like you also need to check the thermo switch on the radiator - over 3/4 up the scale is too high.
Is your radiator fan turning on? It should turn on at something like 1/2 or 2/3. If it's not, check the fuse. If the fuse is good, carefully jump the switch using a big screwdriver and check to see if the fan turns on.

Also, there could be air bubbles in your cooling system; slowly open the bleed valve by the thermostat and let any extra air come out (just close it when you start to see coolant coming out). I had an air pocket in my cooling system and it would regularly get to 3/4 on the temp scale during normal highway driving.

Certainly check to be sure your radiator is getting good airflow as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts