SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could cause this vibration while the car is idling, it idles at the correct rev's but the car vibrates, I can feel it though the steering wheel and the seat. No vibration during normal driving though. Any help with this problem will be much appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
715 Posts
this can be as simple as dirty plugs, MAF or bad engine mounts, i did all that but my vibration issue still existed and it turn out maybe a broken balance chain guide, will be in the shop this Friday for it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this can be as simple as dirty plugs, MAF or bad engine mounts, i did all that but my vibration issue still existed and it turn out maybe a broken balance chain guide, will be in the shop this Friday for it.
Hi, I have cleaned the MAF used the proper stuff to, changed crankshaft position sensor ( genuine Saab item ). what can go wrong with the engine mounts ? ( Didn't think of those ). My vibration problem isn't all the time just sometimes, I am wondering if it is when the fan kicks in, maybe out of balance or something like that maybe ?. :confused:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to ask, how did you find out it could be a broken balance shaft guide ?.:confused:

·
Registered
715 Posts
originally thought it was my engine mounts but after changed all 4 mounts, cleaned MAF, air filter, checked plugs, coils and vibration still exist, engine runs normal ,no cel and no lost of performance.
sent emails to a saab master tech and he adviced this could most definitely the balance chain is loose if i went through all the above.
i did hear a rattling noise what appears to be a loose chain slapping on the engine block for 3 days but now its gone, like i said, car will be in the shop this friday and will know 100% for sure.

edit: my symptoms, vibrates along with a drone, gets worse in gear and ac is on but better when rpm drops down to 650, it goes away once car is in motion.

·
Registered
715 Posts
car was in the shop today for a possible balance chain issue but it turned out nothing was broken inside:evil:, but replaced the balance chain and guides anyway since i had the parts, when the guy put the timimg chain back he screwed up on the timing mark, now i have a misfire and a CEL, vibration still exist,
he ask me to get the timing chain kit and he do it again for me this weekend, now my question is, after i've done all thess, what other possible causes for the vibration? totally stumped...oh and wasted a good $750(with parts)for nothing.:evil:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
car was in the shop today for a possible balance chain issue but it turned out nothing was broken inside:evil:, but replaced the balance chain and guides anyway since i had the parts, when the guy put the timing chain back he screwed up on the timing mark, now i have a misfire and a CEL, vibration still exist,
he ask me to get the timing chain kit and he do it again for me this weekend, now my question is, after i've done all these, what other possible causes for the vibration? totally stumped...oh and wasted a good $750(with parts)for nothing.:evil:
Waste of time, waste of money :evil:, and still vibrating and another problem added. So have you got to buy the timing chain kit ( more $ ). Hope he fits it correctly.
Like you I am stumped with this crazy vibration issue, but I think it has to be a moving part ie the fan or air con maybe. :evil:

·
Registered
715 Posts
besides the timing kit, think i will throw another part(harmonic balancer)at it.
I was thinking but not sure will work, have him start the engin without the serp belt to see if vibration persist then can isolate the crank pulley and ac. what do yous think?:roll:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
besides the timing kit, think i will throw another part(harmonic balancer)at it.
I was thinking but not sure will work, have him start the engin without the serp belt to see if vibration persist then can isolate the crank pulley and ac. what do yous think?:roll:
Sounds like a good idea to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts