SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been having issues with my 1999 9-3 Turbo Base Hatchback 2.0 5 Speed

It had been sitting for about 8 years before the clutch was finally replaced and there have been some issues that I have been working through making it a daily. Almost there now. One of the last issues is its idle. On cold start-up, it generally has no issues. Idles at ~850-950 RPM (Based on the gauge scale). If after its warm, I drop it into neutral from 2000 RPM or more, it will first drop down to normal idle rpm and then to 200-400 rpm and then either die or rev back up into the 1k rpm's before settling at regular idle. It dies most commonly coming out of 5th gear on the highway on an off-ramp. It did have half tank of older gas in it and ran fine when I first got it going so I went and filled it up with premium and kept diluting it with Fresh Gas and occasionally seafoam. My first thought was a gunked up fuel filter (Is it in the tank?) but it did also have a vacuum hose leak that I fixed. Is there something that can be cleaned for the fuel-air mix? It also has a new exhaust off turbo with new CAT as of a week ago.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
Have you ever cleaned or replaced the idle air control (IAC) valve? 1999 was the last they used one before switching to an electronic throttle body, and they are known to get gunked up or fail. Look for a large shiny metal cylinder on the passenger's side of the throttle body, connected with a couple of largish rubber hoses, about 1" in diameter. You can take off the valve, squirt some carburetor cleaner in both openings, shake it up, and then dump out the cleaner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I cleaned the IAC on mine 2 weeks ago, using carburettor cleaner. Getting it out wasnt too difficult - its mounted on a sort of post and pulls vertically offf it once you've losened the hoses a little and removed everything off the top thats in the way.

Conveniently found an air leak at the same time in a vacuum line that I'd already replaced once but had got pinched and damaged. Tickover now beautifully smooth. Its worth cleaning the throttle body wth carb cleaner while everything's exposed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to take the IAC off and sprayed carb cleaner into both holes, gave it a good shake and dumped it out. I did this about 3 times and put it back together. Started up and idled very high for awhile (~1500) then eventually settled. Drove it on the highway and noticed it seemed better but the occasional rough idle eventually popping up and it did die once.

It doesn't seem to be happening as often as it did prior so I might try to clean it again. Looks like I can get a new IAC off parts geek for $60....

Any other fixes that might help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
You said it had been sitting for eight years... did you replace the fuel filter? Replace the fuel? Ethanol-laden fuel can not sit for that long. It will separate and wreck all sorts of stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts