SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there — trying my best to learn the insides of these cars. Replaced the radiator and oil cooler on my 2002 93 turbo hatchback manual. Started it up for 15-20 mins with no leaks and then decided to drive it home from my brothers. Got around the block and everything was good. When I got into third gear (on a sight incline) the turbo gauge started making big leaps from yellow to red and the engine stalled. I could not get the car past second gear after this and it would not idle well—I had to give it a bit of fuel to keep it from stalling. Reverse worked okay. I got it back to my brothers house in reverse. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me understand what’s going on. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I would start by retracing your steps. Examine the things you took apart or disturbed, and make sure they went back together properly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what i've been working on but everything appears as it should be except this tiny hose that I have discovered is detached at both ends. Its probably 6-10 inches long and pretty thin in diameter. I have to assume at this point its a vacuum line of some kind. I discovered it near my overflow -- I swapped that out when i did the radiator and its possible I might have disconnected that line on accident.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Vacuum lines on the 9-3 come from the bypass control valve by the base of the windshield, the PCV breather on the valve cover, and the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for listing those out for me -- that will be invaluable information for me when i start inspecting after work today. After doing some more reading, this definitely seems like a boost leak / fuel cutoff problem. Fingers crossed that this is related to the disconnected hose and that there isn't any damage to the intercooler from replacing the radiator. :cheesy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone can identify this hose that would be lovely. After looking at the link above + many other videos about locations of vacuum lines I cannot seem to find out where it goes. This is definitely a boost leak though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After all my research I started to suspect that. Looks like it’s unrelated to that hose. The intercooler hose fitting on the passengers side was showing a little bit of the ridge which I don’t think it should be. After I fixed that it idled okay and then i did another test drive which ended the same way as the first one. Drivers side hose is a lot harder to get to. Ill check that out after work today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you gain enough clearance to work on the drivers side intercooler hose if you take out the battery and the headlight? Just trying to avoid taking the bumper off again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Removing the battery did help alot with getting my hands down in there but it was tight! However, it seems that the hose came right off on the first test drive. I shouldn't have gotten hung up on that little hose. Either way, both intercooler hoses are attached and the boost leak is gone - just drove it 30 miles to work this AM with no issues or leaks..What a feeling. Thanks for all your help in sorting this guys!

ps. if anyone can help me figure out where that longer thin hose goes that would be a relief. It doesnt seem to attach to the headlight wipers as they already have lines going through them. It'll bother me forever if i cant find it :evil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts