SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 9-5 2.3. So belt shredded and came off, not too far from home. I bought 2 new idler pulleys and a belt. I checked 3 different parts stores and all had the same stuff. Well the upper pulley above the tensioner has an 8mm ID bearing in it which is way smaller than the oem. All 3 parts stores show the same pulley for this car. I called Advance auto parts and they looked into it further and said they can order the correct one, 3-4 days!

I looked at TheSaabSite and they show both styles of pulleys. Whats strange is the one with the 8mm ID bearing they show as for early 1999 9-5's and the one with the correct ID bearing they show for late 99-2010. If the latter pulley is in most of the cars why in the heck do most of these parts stores have the one in stock for just the early 99's?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is probably do to the fact that same made some changes to their models in the middle of the 99 production year. So depending on your VIN certain parts are for before
and after the changes

·
Registered
867 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the 2.3 only use 1 pulley now?
Didnt they shorten the belt and stop using the middle pulley? or...
Isnt the second one in the middle no longer used?
mine is bypassed, and I use a shorter belt...???

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
They both should work; earlier models had a smaller hole later years have metal adaptors that makes it work; the problem is when you buy the replacement; parts stores don't ask for Vin IDs they just assume you already have the adaptors; Rockauto sells both versions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts