SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 9-3's / NG900 crowd, it is known that the upper idler pulley fails and potentially shreds the serp belt so we change both during routine maintenance every 60K miles or so. There is even a billet idler pulley replacement from a company in Florida: Wazee.

Anyway, does the 9-5 have this similar problem?
Should the pulley be replaced when the belt is replaced? I think I am starting to hear some similar chirping from that area on the wife's 9-5 similar to my 9-3 when the pulley starts to go.

Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,874 Posts
You should replace the idler pulley on the 2.3L at the same time as the belt ... they do have the same problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll replace them both together.

Here is the Wazee pully for the 9-5
I have one on my 9-3.


Saab 95 Idler Pulley. Use your old bolt and just discard the large metal dust shield. This is a direct replacement for 1999-2007. Includes: 1 bearing, 1 snap ring. Priority Postal service. /48 states. See details below Price is $46.99 In stock Fits VIN X3022044 AND UP

Wazee Website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Doesn't the 9-5 have like 3 idler pulleys? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
stipud said:
I wonder if those billet pulleys are the same as ours? I wouldn't mind installing a set of those ;)
I just ordered one, I'll let you know how it looks.

I'm going with a short belt (yes, I know they sometimes have noise issues), so that eliminates the center idler pulley. Does anyone know if you have the replace the pulley on the tensioner arm as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a followup...I replaced the belt and pulley. Went with the stock pulley from dealership due to the price I can get at a dealership around here. Parts managers hooks me up.

What I did notice was that the dealership ONLY sells the short belt so I went with that. I saw some posts about increased noise from the short belt but didn't notice any increase after installing.
Anyone noticed something over time?

Now onto the PCV update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
SPATL said:
Just a followup...I replaced the belt and pulley. Went with the stock pulley from dealership due to the price I can get at a dealership around here. Parts managers hooks me up.

What I did notice was that the dealership ONLY sells the short belt so I went with that. I saw some posts about increased noise from the short belt but didn't notice any increase after installing.
Anyone noticed something over time?

Now onto the PCV update.
there are some reported vibrations,esp at low revs, with the short belt

Arnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,846 Posts
Pulleys

Raven18940 said:
Doesn't the 9-5 have like 3 idler pulleys? :roll:
2 idler pulleys - 1 in the upper left of the belt route and one in the center (sometimes eliminated) Also: see diagram on link below.

The other, below the upper left idler pulley, is the tensioner pulley.

What I did notice was that the dealership ONLY sells the short belt so I went with that.
My dealer gave me the same line - probably because the engineers at Saab told them to use the short one (also to save time when so they don't have to replace the center pulley)

you can get one here: http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95belts.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
My dealer gave me the same line - probably because the engineers at Saab told them to use the short one (also to save time when so they don't have to replace the center pulley)
That's cause they redesigned the system mid 04 and all 9-5 have short belts now.

I got my shiney, aluminum pulley in the mail a few days ago. Looks like a well crafted piece of kit. Should cure the idler pulley issue. What I've seen, the top left pulley comes apart at high speed, shreding the belt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I got my shiney, aluminum pulley in the mail a few days ago. Looks like a well crafted piece of kit. Should cure the idler pulley issue. What I've seen, the top left pulley comes apart at high speed, shreding the belt.
Let us know how you like it! My cheap plastic replacement OE version broke apart 4 months after it was installed. :evil: Luckily it was still under warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
Looks like it only replaces the top left pulley, so you are still left with the center and tensioner pulleys. The center could be removed, but with reports of added noise and vibration, I would rather go through the additional effort.

I would love to buy a full pulley kit for the car.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top