SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noise - what's that noise? - and that smell? - and that smoke;oops: . Pop the bonnet up and the plastic wheels has gone and the belt is riding on the metal sleeve. I has some spray grease with me so a squirt of this got me home which was less than 1/2 mile. Ordered the parts and pulled the belt, idler and tension pulleys ready for replacement. More bother though - a shard of pulley had taken a gouge out of one of the oil cooler hoses and while leaning against the car my knee presses against the sidelight lens and cracked it;oops: . I bandaged the cooler hose with a jubilee clip ( will have to replace it for sure). Then noticed that the far right exhaust stud nut was loose so I took the oportunity of removing the AC pump and tightening this up. Not exactly what I had in mind today but at least it happened on a very short local journey and not while hacking down the M-way at midnight:cheesy:

·
Registered
680 Posts
yeah, my buddies did the same thing, 50 miles away from home. He had to change his in a hotel parking lot when it was about 10degrees outside!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought stock parts - I needed the car fixed. The belt has not disintegrated but the rubber looks like it's starting to crack so I'll keep it in the boot as an emergency spare. The middle pulley has some play so that's being replaced as well but will also do as an emergency spare. What are these Wazee pulleys?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Shirozina said:
I just bought stock parts - I needed the car fixed. The belt has not disintegrated but the rubber looks like it's starting to crack so I'll keep it in the boot as an emergency spare. The middle pulley has some play so that's being replaced as well but will also do as an emergency spare. What are these Wazee pulleys?
They're Billet instead of plastic. A few of us have put them on but it is probably too early to tell their longevity. Around the same price as the stock pully.

Wazee Pullys

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had my 3rd belt go out. It seems as though I didn't do a good job cleaning out the grooves after my first one went, so the new belt only lasted ~4000 miles. I opted for the wazee since it's close to the same price and I'm going to start carrying a travel kit since trying to get home with no power steering, not water pump and no alternator is no fun.

One odd thing I found whilst checking my VIN code is that my Saab 9-3 SE HOT is marked as a 2000, but the last 7 digits of the VIN is 2020486. Wazee's site (and all other parts sites) list the VIN split as:
Fits (1998-1999 1/2) Saab 93 4-cylinder turbo 2.0
Works only up to VIN X2028400
Works only up to VIN X7022778 (SE, C-Vert)

(1999 1/2-2003) Saab 93
2.0 X2028401 and after
X7022779 and after

So my "2000 9-3 SE 2.0" has a non "SE" VIN from 99.5...:confused:

Must have been from a batch during the change...?

Any advice regarding doing it right this time?

Btw - the first failure was AC clutch bearing failure, so having a travel kit would have done me no good. That failure was 480 miles away from home...;oops:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I cleaned the grooves with a wire brush ready for tomorrows instal - had to run the engine for a few secs to clean the crank pulley. I think the belt and pulleys are speedparts - not SAAB OE. I needed them fast but I may replace with better parts in a short time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts