SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, I call upon this incredible forum for help.

Recap, early last summer the serpentine belt shredded itself. While at the shop, I was told that the idle tension pulley assembly needed to be replaced, it was done. Parts were avround $130. 3 weeks ago, the front crankshaft seal was leaking horribly. So, I took it back to a different shop. They informed me that the Tension Pulley assembly needed to be replaced as well. So, with parts costing about $143, it was replaced again.

Today, on my long day of travel, all the appropriate alarms went off just as I pulled into a town 120 miles away and oil pressure plummeted. I knew it was the serpentine belt was off. With immense luck I pulled into a NAPA shop where I know the manager. We all climb into and around the engine. Yep, belt off and the pulley itself was melted. Those guys double teamed the job, and we got a look at the tensioner assembly. When I told them it had just been replaced. They said "don't think so". They were able to mount another pulley and properly space it onto the assembly. They saved me. Didn't make it to court, but I was able to get home.

The assembly that was pulled off is clearly original equipment. It has the patina of heat, oil, and 186K miles, not new. I'll deal with that and the fraudulent shop tomorrow, but the here's to the point. The assembly itself is vibrating when the engine is running. One of the guys said it needed to be replaced with a new one. Another mechanic thought the vibration might be normal for a 9-5. Do you guys have any ideas on this?

It's important because I need to know if I can rely on it for one more out of town trip before the car goes back into the shop.

Len

·
Registered
693 Posts
Although I'm unaware of any substantial difference between the model years. I've observed that the Idler Pulley on my 99 V6 does not vibrate! I think it's safe to assume that you've been duped by your previous mechanics or worse that the pulley mounting point may have been damaged. If the shop(s) in question were just a random place you opted to work on your car rather than a trusted service vendor, always ask to see the old parts. Good luck with the litigation.:x

Oh remember to delete the redundant post.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
As stated above, a little bit of vibration is normal on the tensioner. Where in Texas are you located?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts