SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I have just bought a 1997 900s convertible that needs a few jobs doing to it. One of these jobs is the idler pulley as its seems to be whirring and the belt is not running in the middle of the pulley on the PAS pump. I understand that its quite an easy job but if anyone has any tips I would be very grateful.
Also where is the best place to buy parts for these cars? I am in the UK.

Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have the Wazee and highly recommend it. They're are much better than the plastic pulleys. The cost is roughly the same here in the USA but you'll have to pay more since you're in the UK.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Yea the construction of the Wazee is better but there were a few threads lately about them always being out of stock and about having a crappy bearing. It may be true or the installation was incooect (there's a need to install a spacer IIRC). Mind you, it's still a much better alternative than the plastic OEM as the bearing is a standard size that is available at all automotive parts / supply stores for something like $2 or a rediculous price like that.Unfortunately Wazee hiked up the price by almost 40% lately too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information guys. I like the idea of a shorter belt and one less pulley. I will probably go for another plastic type pulley because I am limited on time. my problem may be getting a short belt over here? Im not sure. I had a look at the job today, even got as far as removing the plastic pulley. It spins but does feel abit dry. The pulley in the middle looks in worse condition but I could not get it off, its got an allen type head on the bolt, I supose it could be left on when I go for a short belt but I would rather remove it if possible. Thats it for now, cheers Mike

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Mikes900s said:
The pulley in the middle looks in worse condition but I could not get it off, its got an allen type head on the bolt...
Just FYI, if the bolt is original, it may be a Torx T-40 bolt with an oversized "mushroom-type" head.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PMI said:
Just FYI, if the bolt is original, it may be a Torx T-40 bolt with an oversized "mushroom-type" head.
Yes I recon you could be right there, thanks for that. I will have another go at removing it when I change the belt. I have bought a pulley from ebay, £15 ($30 ish ) for new Saab one, now all I need is the short belt.
I read somewhere that Saab went for the short belt on the 9-3 cars. Is that true and if so would that belt be ok on mycar?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Mikes900s said:
I read somewhere that Saab went for the short belt on the 9-3 cars. Is that true and if so would that belt be ok on mycar?
Yes, that is true, but, they also changed the tensioner and upper idler pulleys to a different type and size, so we cannot use an identical belt on the NG900.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PMI said:
Yes, that is true, but, they also changed the tensioner and upper idler pulleys to a different type and size, so we cannot use an identical belt on the NG900.
Right, ok so does anyone know where in the USA I can buy a GM88986814 6PK2470EB belt at a good price on the net and get it shipped to me here in the UK?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts