SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove the car this afternoon for around half an hour with no problems, apart from the lack of boost which I have narrowed down to the APC solanoid. (ordered one).
After around half an hour I started the car and it stalled itself unless I kept on the throttle on, once the car warmed up, lifting off the gas and the engine drops down to 400-500rpm, on the verge of stalling when idle.

Any suggestions, Im thinking ive bought a right lemon!!;oops:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just drove the car this afternoon for around half an hour with no problems, apart from the lack of boost which I have narrowed down to the APC solanoid. (ordered one).
After around half an hour I started the car and it stalled itself unless I kept on the throttle on, once the car warmed up, lifting off the gas and the engine drops down to 400-500rpm, on the verge of stalling when idle.

Any suggestions, Im thinking ive bought a right lemon!!;oops:
check your tps sensor

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is it and where can I find it please?
When you say check, is there anything to check or clean or is it a replace?

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
check out all the Vac hoses.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the vac hoses have been replaced with silicone, all has been checked and is good in that respect!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed... Who would have thought a bit of carb cleaner in the IAC would have had such a dramatic effect. It didn't acually look that bad to be honest. Oh well...job sorted Thanks :p

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Fixed... Who would have thought a bit of carb cleaner in the IAC would have had such a dramatic effect. It didn't acually look that bad to be honest. Oh well...job sorted Thanks :p
The ECU has to work a lot harder to regulate the idle speed when the AIC (and/or the throttle valve) are dirty/sticky or gummed up with oil residue resulting from the crankcase ventilation gases leaving films of product inside everything over time.

It pays to check inside the throttle valve as well and make sure the butterfly isn't sticking.

Craig.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought all was well, but Ive gone to the other extreme now, After a bit of full boost, when stopped at the traffic lights, the engine was reving itself from 1500 -2000rpm over and over again?.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It pays to check inside the throttle valve as well and make sure the butterfly isn't sticking.

Would spraying inside one end of this with the carb cleaner suffice?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm quite interested in the answer to this actually.

I cleaned my IAC valve with half a bottle of carb cleaner, and it helped matters, but to be honest it's still not where it should be, so I'm thinking throttle body is next, but I don't fancy taking the whole thing out...

As a1damuk asks, is it ok to just remove the big intake hose and spray for all I'm worth with carb cleaner? Or is it a bad idea to send whatever that cleans off into the engine?

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
As a1damuk asks, is it ok to just remove the big intake hose and spray for all I'm worth with carb cleaner? Or is it a bad idea to send whatever that cleans off into the engine?
Nah that's fine. You can spray in the throttle body no worries. Clean the back of the throttle plate with an old toothbrush if you need to.

[edit] Actually, does anyone know what voltage the IAC should receive? Because I have some idle problems and after changing the the IAC valve there was no change at all. I get as low as 700-800 rpm from cold with acc on. Then after the engine warms it will be up to as much as 1100 in neutral, but down to 900-1000 in drive. I just wonder if the valve is getting any control.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have taken off the throttle body and cleaned and polished it! Only took me 10 minutes to remove, Ill clean what I can see in the intake, because I cant be bothered to take that off.

I cleaned the IAC again, when removing it I heard a rattling inside and noticed a small piece of metal sticking out of the rotating part inside. Pulled it out with the tweasers.
Dont know where its from but its around 2cmx1cm and very thin, obviously from somewhere in the engine:cry:, looks cloud shaped?

Im yet to re fit, but thinking that may explain some strange idle behavoir!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts